Life back to normal..... but is it?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

comedyjester
Contributor
Contributor

Life back to normal..... but is it?

Postby comedyjester » Mon 31 Mar 2008 1:14 pm

Hi there,

I had my operation back in July and had a sticky first few months but am now happily plodding along with just one drop per day and have almost forgotten about the stitches coming out. My next appt is in May and I should be having the stitches out in July.

I just have a few questions I hope the pros can help with.

1. I would like to start going to the gym again but is 9 months too soon still? I was told to not do strenuous activity by the doctor but is that till the stitches are removed?

2. What should i expect from the removal of stitches? Lots of time off? Pain? Discomfort? Immediate change in vision? Will they assess me for lenses immediately?

Many thanks for your comments.

Rick

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Life back to normal..... but is it?

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 31 Mar 2008 4:09 pm

Hi Rick
Good to hear that the graft is going well now.
1. Although I'll happily walk for miles, I've never been in to 'strenuous' activity, so will leave others to tell you about their gym activity!
2. Stitch removal - shouldn't need any time off apart from the day it's done. Pain - yes for a few hours after the local anaesthetic has worn off so you might need some painkillers but should be fine and painfree the next day.
The removal of stitches can result in a change of vision - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. But once the cornea has settled down again then you should be able to have a refraction for contact lenses or glasses. If my memory serves me right (it's over 20 years since my grafts) that was 3-4 weeks after the stitches come out.
Good luck!
Anne

comedyjester
Contributor
Contributor

Postby comedyjester » Tue 01 Apr 2008 6:37 am

Thanks for your reply. That is very re-assuring.

Anyone got any comments about the first question about going to the gym?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 01 Apr 2008 12:06 pm

comedyjester

I waited until my opthalmologist told me it was okay to get back to the gym; but I did not wait patiently. I asked every time :D . When he said 'not yet' I waited a little longer.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Asif » Tue 08 Apr 2008 11:49 pm

strenuous exercise can increase iop, which may break or loosen sutures. i started exercising after 6 months and was lifting light weights. i have broken a few sutures immediately after lifting heavy objects and weights, which did make my vision worse. if you dont go too heavy you should be okay, just dont hold your breathe and exhale as you exhert.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”