RGP comes off centre after about 40 minutes

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: RGP comes off centre after about 40 minutes

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 30 Mar 2008 8:00 am

What Anne says is absolutely right: the formation of the scar tissue seems to tighten the cornea making it stiffer again. the critical issue is just exactly where the scar tissue forms. if it is mid field of your vision then for many Ophthalmologists it is taken as an automatic indicator for transplant surgery. If the scar is peripheral to your visual field then it can indeed lead to an improvement in sight.

From what you say it looks like yours is smack in the middle; keep us in touch with the way things are going.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 30 Mar 2008 8:20 pm

Just to add to the above, as a veteran of 4 hydrops experiences:
some of them heal better than others, and may leave little, minimal, or cope-with-able scarring.
SO even if the hydrops was bank dead centre, it may with luck heal over nicely and not need anything doing to it.
But you - well, one - can't ever really tell that until it has had plenty of time to heal over and settle down again - which may mean a few months to finish settling down.
For each of my first two, people started talking about surgery - but they both healed over OK and that prospect rolled away again (for about 28/26 years, at least!)
Don't let anyone push you into making decisions either way till you've had chance to see how well it will - we all hope! - or else doesn't settle down again.
Good luck, and I hope it all heals up well and promptly.
Rosemary

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby asylumxl » Mon 31 Mar 2008 7:11 pm

It's mid vision for me, but like you say, just gotta wait and see. :lol: Nothing like a relaxing Easter Break.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”