INTACS experiences

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

dplees
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

INTACS experiences

Postby dplees » Wed 19 Mar 2008 9:07 am

Could someone with INTACS please tell me what their experience has been. I currently have one INTAC in my right eye that has been well implanted and I am unable to feel it. However, this eye is more sensitive and I can feel more pressure in it than the untreated eye.
I am curious if: a)this is a general feeling b) if once i have the other eye is treated they will both feel the same and i therefore wont be aware of any difference in pressure and sensitivity. c)Am i just being overly sensitive!

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: INTACS experiences

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 19 Mar 2008 10:35 am

dplees

Maybe you ought to have your IOP checked? Are you still using any drops after your INTACS implantation?

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Sun 23 Mar 2008 10:26 am

A year on and the best way of describing the feeling in my implanted eye is... different.

The right eye is more sensitive to light and tires more easily then the left.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

helen jones
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby helen jones » Tue 25 Mar 2008 8:39 pm

Hi I have intacs fitted in both eyes. I have noticed that pressure feeling, but I think we are all different. I have definately found the sunlight bothers me more, but maybe with I think with time that will go as its just over a month since i've had my last eye done. I would say not to worry and think how much the intacs will help you in others ways. Best of luck with it all.

dplees
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dplees » Tue 25 Mar 2008 9:23 pm

I’ve just had an INTAC removed from my right eye as it was too superficial and made my eye lid sore when I blinked The INTAC in my left eye is deep, however I am very aware of it now compared to the non INTAC eye. I would say that I could feel more pressure in the INTAC eye and it feels like it aches by the end of the day, it is perhaps a bit gritty also.
I’ve been trying to ignore this irritation for a while now, however I think I’ve come to the decision of getting this INTAC removed also – unless I can get hold of a good hypnotist in the meantime.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Wed 26 Mar 2008 10:43 am

dplees....

Ahem.... am I going crazy or don't you mean you have had the implant removed from the LEFT eye?

I think you feel the right implant because you no longer have one in the left to compare it with - from what you said a while back, you didn't feel the right at all when the left was causing you irritation.

The bottom line here though for anyone who has intacs is: do the benefits outweigh the non benefits? As we have discussed away from the forum, your distortion is more peripheral so I don't think you get the visual benefit that others would get from intacs. So for you personally, having the right one removed may well be the best option. For others, the improvement in vision would probably outweigh any residual sensation.
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

alice44
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alice44 » Wed 26 Mar 2008 5:30 pm

Sorry to hear your intacs are causing discomfort.

I can honestly say I can't feel mine, unless I press my eye - which I obviously don't make a habit of!

The only thing that I really get is that I can see the edges of my intacs in dimly lit places like the pub or theatre.

Alice

sendricardo
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby sendricardo » Mon 25 Feb 2013 1:08 am

I have something very similar to an intac called a "Ferrara ring". My eye with the ring is alwayssss annoying me too....it burns almost constantly and even artificial tears don't help at all (I've tried countless brands). However doctors all insist that my intac is "perfectly" placed and should I not blame the ring for this irritation and say that my eye is just dry....but my other eye doesn't suffer like the one with the ring.

I have no idea if I should just put my foot down and tell my doc to remove it or take his advice and keep it in :?:

chad sharp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chad sharp » Wed 27 Feb 2013 8:40 pm

Can honestly say I couldn't tell I had one. Had 2 but 1 extruded early on.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”