Sunglasses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Joy
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Sunglasses

Postby Joy » Mon 17 Mar 2008 12:44 pm

Hi there

I find wearing sunglasses helps reduce the glare in bright sunlight. Is it better to buy Ray Ban for example rather than buying a cheap pair? Or can anyone suggest a brand that is good for KC suffers.

Joy

Chris Pope
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Re: Sunglasses

Postby Chris Pope » Mon 17 Mar 2008 2:45 pm

Hi,
I wear a pair of Maui Jim sun glasses and they have been a great help. I suffered in a big way with bright sun light and glare before my graft and these solved the problem for me. I had never heard of them before but was told Maui Jim produce some of the best polarized lens (cuts down on glare) availible, I paid around the £100 mark which I have found to be money well spent.
Best of luck.
Chris

Jeremy_123
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Jeremy_123 » Mon 17 Mar 2008 4:06 pm

Hello Joy,

You could try:

http://www.epsgoggles.com/products/view ... .php?cat=5

I've found these to be life savers on days when its really sunny and even on windy days they help as well with dust and debris. These are good for KC as they cover all your peripheral vision as well as covering your eyes completely. Also very good in that they are tough to break but if you do or you lose a piece you can get replacement bits for them pretty easily. Should you also be at the point of needing spectacle lenses you can even get an insert for the nose piece. I think there's a limit on the strength of the lens you can have put in the insert, but still, its something to consider.

You do at times get a bit of wind sneaking around the edges of these but then you do any sunglasses and like I say, and I'm sure many people on here know, when you have got RGPs in and something or even just wind blows against your eyes it can be pretty uncomfortable. Also given that these are described as eye shields, rather than sunglasses and thats exactly what they do, these things will take a shotgun blast from 10 metres and survive. Not that you will be needing protection from such extreme circumstances but its nice to know it'll take a lot to damage them.

On a lighter note, these have the potential to make you look a tad reminiscent of a Presidential Bodyguard 8)

Anyway they work for me but what works for one doesn't always work for all, still worth checking them out though.

Bye for now

Jez.
If you break a leg hop along on the other one, if you break the other leg shuffle along on your backside, if you've got piles its your unlucky day.

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Mon 17 Mar 2008 6:05 pm

i also had a pair of Maui Jims and they were great--- but i broke them. I need sunglasses ALL the time, so i find it a better plan to buy many pairs of cheaper glasses. My criteria for choice are:
big- wraparound- polarized- dark lens. I do have a variety for different things. like i have a pair that fit my face like they were moulded on there- i use those on the beach or in dusty environment, and then i have a more stylish 'frameless' pair, which still wraparound but are not dustproof and i use those for day to day stuff- and then there is the 'Roy Orbison' ones which are REALLY dark, and useful when i am sensitive to the light. I literally own 6/7 pairs and some of them are very similar but at least i can always find a pair. the polarization really relaxes the eye and in SA you can get a decent pair for R200 (12 pounds)

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 17 Mar 2008 6:17 pm

The important thing, rather than buy a pair of cheap sunglasses, is to make sure that they provide adequate all round protection against the sun, are good anti-glare and polorized sunglasses that exclude UV,

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon 17 Mar 2008 6:42 pm

Many thanks everyone. I wear sunglasses most of the time even when it is not sunny. I feel they proctect my right eye which is only very slightly effected by KC, my left eye is the worst of the two. I am going to have a look on the internet for Maui Jims and see what I can find. At the moment I am wearing Ray Bans.

Again, many thanks for your help. :D

Joy

girlypants
Contributor
Contributor

Postby girlypants » Tue 18 Mar 2008 12:46 am

Hey Joy

I can vouch for Maui Jims too, I live in Queensland and its bright and sunny all year round, so wear sunglasses every single day. I have the MJ Sport which are wrap around and polarised, they are awesome, I also have a pair of Ray Ban Sports which are also fantastic glasses.

I think the important factors are the wrap around and polarising to cut out the glare.

Hope you find a pair that you love!

Dawn

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue 18 Mar 2008 8:57 pm

Thanks Dawn. Problem is I have had a look on the internet and there is so many to choose from, I like most ot them. :roll:

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Amarpal » Tue 18 Mar 2008 11:12 pm

I've never really spent a huge amount on sunglasses. My most expensive pair were £30 and cheapest were about a fiver. All I'm going to say is normally, you get what you pay for! But in my personal experience, I wouldnt spend much more than what I already have on sunglasses, because the pairs that I have are excellent. The ones I use during bright days are my orange tint Bloc sunglasses (£30) which are really excellent - you can get them from most outdoor sports shops. http://www.bloceyewear.com/html/Sports/stoatX52.htm

The other ones are use have a standard darkish tint but are polarised. I find these actually sharpen my image and are excellent in dull weather and when it is raining. I bought these ones from Boots for £15 (were reduced from 30 :D ). Those are the main two that I wear. I have cheaper ones, but they seem to do more bad than good.

A little bit off topic, but these look interesting for helping at night:
http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/03/10/tag_heuer_night_vision_glasses.html
I'm quite interested in them, as long as they don't cost a fortune... and just wondering how legal they are for wearing at night...

Good luck - hope you find the right pair of sunglasses!
Amarpal

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Thu 20 Mar 2008 4:56 pm

I agree with Armapal, you don't have to spend a fortune. I got mine from Boots with a Cat 3 Polarised lens at half price (£20). The main thing is to get a Cat 3 or 4 Polarised lens. Cat 4 is illegal for driving however! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”