which KC symptom that affects you the most?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

bluesfan
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: which KC symptom that affects you the most?

Postby bluesfan » Thu 05 Jun 2008 5:32 pm

Very interesting discussion indeed. For me I have to say the worst symptom would be loosing (almost) my job! I am in a line of work where in order to keep doing what I should do I must meet certain visual requirements which are checked regularly. In fact at one of these checks, this is how I found out I had KC and spectacles weren't giving me good enough vision anymore, although luckily, with them i can still drive. The result was having to have my licence be placed on hold while I could get contact lenses and prove that I am able to wear them with no problems after a set trial period. I also decided to to get cross linking done at the same time as well. So as you can see, it was a big lifestyle change for me which I hope won't last much longer!! Being out of work and trying to sort out a solution for my KC is stessful enough!

Ash

Postby Ash » Thu 12 Jun 2008 1:59 pm

Only new to this forum but not new to KC. I guess I've never come across the forum as I only tend to do Australian searches for KC but tonight did a global search. I tend to take for granted that I stick my contacts in my eyes and I can see reasonable well, however I lost a contact lens yesterday and called in sick and spent the whole day on my hands and knees looking for it. Of course I didn't find it so I've got a new lens on order but it won't be ready for at least 5 days, so that's 5 days with vision in only 1 eye. I therefore can't drive or do anything much.
My usual pet peeves are sensitivity to light, not being able to read more than a couple of pages at a time and I used to be a bookwork who loved reading and like others have said, trying to explain why I can't just wear glasses or disposable lenses. I lead a rather active lifestyle but don't swim as I hate not being able to see in the water and I won't risk swimming with my lenses. Dragon boating is risky enough as far as I'm concerned as i often get a face full of water.
Probably the most humiliating experience I've had was about 10 years ago. I was sober, had just entered a pub, ordered my first drink and was promptly kicked out for being drunk because my eyes had reacted to the smoke that had got into my eyes and caused them to start watering. Of course the security guards wouldn't listen to me, even though I was a regular.
Another problem I have is judging depth of vision and I've had way to many minor scrapes in my car, usually when parking or reversing but I'm fine while I'm actually driving. I bought a new car late last year and already have 3 decent dents that I put down solely to KC and stuffed up vision.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 12 Jun 2008 2:10 pm

Ash

Welcome to the forum. We have a number of members in Australia, and it is good to welcome another to the happy band.

Dragon boating with lenses in? I'm impressed.

Can you still get insurance, even though you dent your car due to your eye condition? I am not sure that, in the UK, you would still be able to drive if you can't see well enough to park safely :shock:

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

chris_irwin89
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chris_irwin89 » Wed 18 Jun 2008 11:18 am

worst symptoms are not being able to see very well. i have a mild case of keratoconus currently though, so i guess i probably don't get very many symptoms.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 18 Jun 2008 11:53 am

It is the "not being able to see very well" bit that would keep us off the road!

There is a minimum sight requirement for driving in the UK, and it is our responsibility to be sure that we comply.

If our corrected vision falls below the minimum requirement, we are not permitted to drive at all. If someone were reckless enough to continue to drive when their sight had fallen below the minimum their insurance would be invalid and they would have committed an offence.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Fri 20 Jun 2008 7:11 am

I know that I can pass the driving eye test fine- but sometimes your depth perception is a little faulty- which makes parking a bit tricky.I am overly cautious and often have to get back into my car and reverse further back into the bay. I might have that beeping parking assitance or the TV on my next car... (like the Lexus). If I only have 1 'useful' eye.... I avoid parking altogether... which is quite easy in SA. we have a lot of space so i would just park in the empty part of the parking basement- and walk.

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby dweezil1968 » Fri 20 Jun 2008 1:25 pm

have just had my licence back from the DVLA so although i have no sight in left eye I am ok to drive (they must have checked with hospital- they had requested contact details) with lens in right eye
so thats a relief!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 21 Jun 2008 12:41 pm

Well done.

When you tell your insurance company, they just take the DVLA decision that you are fit to drive as sufficient evidence that there is no problem: you do still have to tell your insurance company.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”