Lens traumas

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Lens traumas

Postby Louise Pembroke » Tue 04 Mar 2008 11:42 pm

All you RGP wearers, do you ever remove your lens and it comes out at a bad angle scrapping the cornea?
This very occasionally happens to me when I'm tired and it scares the hell out of me because the eye really hurts and waters.
Can we really hurt ourselves when this happens?
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Lens traumas

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 05 Mar 2008 7:27 am

Louise, I think that the answer is 'yes', it is possible to damage your cornea by scraping the sharp edge of a lens across it.

My problem used to be that if my lens slid off my cornea, I'd slide it right back again and the sharp edge would rasp across the cornea. This did not happen often, but when it did I used to need a course of chloramphenicol while the staining healed.

If your lens slides off your cornea, take it out and when you have cleaned it, re-insert.

Your situation is not the same, but I think that the advice holds good; if you have touched your cornea with the sharp edge of your RGP lens, let somebody have a look at it and see if your eye needs some help with the healing process.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Lens traumas

Postby Louise Pembroke » Wed 05 Mar 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks Andrew, I guess when it has happened I havn't got it checked it out because I don't seem like a whinge. You're right about when it slips off the cornea, because the curvature & rigidity of the lens means that it's simply not possible to slide it back on centrally without scrapping it, this is when the suction pad is good for removal when it's stuck in a corner
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”