C3R (CXL)

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Michael P
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: C3R (CXL)

Postby Michael P » Mon 10 Mar 2008 11:33 am

Good news Gabriela.

We look forward to hearing from you again as and when.
Please have a listen to my daughter, if you have a spare moment, on www.myspace.com/emmaparnes. She also wrote the songs.

helen jones
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby helen jones » Wed 12 Mar 2008 12:23 pm

Hi Glad it went well, best of luck with the reovery.

Helen

SanDieganPaul

Postby SanDieganPaul » Fri 14 Mar 2008 12:04 am

Hullo, I'm new here.
I am in San Diego, California, and am enrolling in a study of CXL. The procedure is done to one eye, and a control group is getting just the ribflavin drops. So, point is, how scared should I be if I am enrolled? Saw some comments about itchy eyes...my Doc said it would feel like a corneal abrasion (That's more like someone reaching in and squeezing your eyeball, as I recall!). So, some honest opinions and especially experiences would be helpful in my deciding whether or not to opt in.

Thanks, all!

Dr. Binder, of Gordon Binder & Weiss Vision is my Doc. He's really good!
~Paul

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 14 Mar 2008 7:10 am

SanDieganPaul

Welcome to the forum, and all the best with your participation in the study (if you decide to go ahead).

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Gabriela Neal Gonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

Re: C3R (CXL) updtae

Postby Gabriela Neal Gonzalez » Sun 16 Mar 2008 10:34 am

Hi everyone, the eye is healing slowly still waters sometimes and a bit sensitive to light, its not that itchy. Sight is gradually improving the milky haze is slowly going.
Paul, the operation is nothing to worry about really, it takes about 1 hour. Your eye is clamped open for this amount of time and you need to lie still especially for the last half an hour as thus is when the UV light is applied to the eye. I suppose the most traumatic part of the procedure is the scraping of the cornea to remove the cells, this does not hurt but feels a bit strange. Immediately after the cornea has been scraped vision goes cloudy but instantly returns, but then after the UV treatment once your eye patch has been removed vision will be cloudy, this should reduce as time goes on. I have been advised not to wear my contact lens again for four weeks.
To anybody out there who has had this done- How long did you wait before you wore your contact lens again? I now need to decide when to get my left eye done.
Thanks for all the encouragement I will keep you posted on my progress. And good luck.
Gabrielaxxxx

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 16 Mar 2008 1:03 pm

Gabriela

Well done! It takes courage to go through any sort of surgery. All the best with your continued improvement.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

helen jones
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby helen jones » Sun 16 Mar 2008 2:42 pm

hi glad everything went well. Godluck with the recovery.

Helen

MarkX

Postby MarkX » Thu 03 Apr 2008 7:50 am

Hi All,

I'm up for C3R on my left eye on the 18th of April. I'm being treated by Chad Rostron at the Accuvision clinic in London.

Thanks to Gabriela I have a bit more of an idea of what to expect, i'd be interested to know how you are getting on now or if anyone else has another other C3R experience.

I work as a software consultant so can sympathise with anyone who has problems with KC and laptops/monitors/offices/air-conditioning, even the tube; it's amazing how dusty it is down there, more than enough dust for your contacts to catch a bit everyonce in a while!

I've been told to take at least a week off work, maybe 2 to ensure I don't strain or damage the eye during recovery. I expect to be very very bored but would appreciate any advice as to things it's "safe" to do!

I'll let you know how things go after the procedure.

Cheers,
Mark

Gabriela Neal Gonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gabriela Neal Gonzalez » Fri 04 Apr 2008 7:25 pm

Hi MarkX, basically once you take off the eye patch after the 24 hours (depending on how you feel) wear your sunglasses in the house; I found that this really helps especially when you are watching television because of the glare it gives off. Try to wear your contact lens in the eye that has not been operated on because then you won't be putting such a strain onto your operated eye. I'm doing okay, still sensitive to light and very occasionally get a bit of pain, but these are all normal side effects that can occur even years after the procedure takes place. If you need any more advice or just need someone to talk to about it, feel free to contact me. Gabriela xx :D

tf5

Postby tf5 » Sat 05 Apr 2008 2:10 am

hi Gabriela ,
i want to ask you about your vision acuity after the procedure, i am 100% dependent on my right eye (i can't read or drive or use the computer on my left eye) , i am thinking about this procedure on my right eye, maybe not now but in the future , but i am worried of how many days my vision will be weak on my 100% dependent eye, so i ask you about the vision acuity of your eye after the procedure, how many days it takes to get back to your normal vision where you can drive , use the computer, read or wacth tv.

thanks...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”