Corneal Graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 06 Jan 2007 2:55 pm

Hi Anne

Unfortunately it was a Full Penetrating Graft :-(

My DALK is sched for End of April.....as I start a new job in 10 days and cant really ask them for a week off lol....so had no choice but to allow a settle in period.....but Id rather have it sooner then latter....just want to get the final one out of the way.....as its like Ive had a 2 year break in my life from not doing things....blah!...Im hoping that the DALK wont put me out of work for more than a week......as Im only planning a week off work.....

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 06 Jan 2007 3:05 pm

Jay

I managed my DALK without any sick leave. I think that the solution is just not to let your doc think he is in the driving seat. If you accept a certificate for absence from work, you have to get another to go back.

I neither asked my doctor how long I ought to take off, nor did I tell him that I wasn't taking time off. That way no harm could come to either of us.

Of course, I'd have been able to get help in an emergency.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 06 Jan 2007 3:12 pm

Thanks Andrew Appreciate it. Issue I have is that ideally I cant afford to take any time off lol...as I cant have "sick leave" as if I dont work I dont get paid as a contractor...last time when I had the Graft it was different as I was in Permanent Employment.....Doc thinks Week is more than enough....but I guess it all depends on how it goes I guess?
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 06 Jan 2007 4:13 pm

I guess so, jay. My own approach was to plan for the best and to be prepared to deal with the worst. All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Corneal Graft

Postby jayuk » Sun 07 Oct 2007 12:24 pm

Another Update

Had all the sutures removed about 7 weeks back, and so now the cornea has been left to its own merit.

Waited 2 weeks for it to settle and got refracted with glasses. Now seing between 6/6 and 6/9 which overall is amazing!

All has gone really well over the period, and have to say it was the best decision I could have mind in hindsight, probably should have made it earlier.

Of course, there is always the chance of rejection but being aware of signs and also appreciating the current level of treatment and chances of halting it in early stages is something to be glad about.

Now to wait for the DALK'd eye to have the sutures removed to see what we can get from that one!

Jayuk

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Sun 07 Oct 2007 12:42 pm

Good to hear from you :D

I'm glad things are going soooo well for you.
Anne

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 07 Oct 2007 12:56 pm

About time you put in an appearence :twisted:

Good to know everything is going OK.
Gareth

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 07 Oct 2007 1:31 pm

Im still about...aim to check the board at weekend etc..but one of the outcomes of seeing better is that people now expect me to work (as opposed to pretend to work)! ! :twisted: :evil: :roll: How dare they!

To be honest, past 6 odd months been dead busy with work, and with 4am to 8pm days; it really kind of hits you as to how little time there is in a day!....but its all good..couldnt have done it without my vision and graft!.....

Also contemplating getting Pilots license next year if vision holds up!...Over in not so sunny scotland!.. :lol: :D

Jayuk

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 07 Oct 2007 1:57 pm

You will find this link usefull; Vision Standards for flying
Gareth

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 07 Oct 2007 2:21 pm

Cheers Gareth.....I did email them when it was merely an idea....and so I just need to wait to see how my vision develops it both eyes.....time is the essence I guess!

Jayuk

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Return to “General Discussion Forum”