graft time

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

craigm
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

graft time

Postby craigm » Fri 08 Feb 2008 7:59 pm

hi, i'm new here and i have had KC since i was 15, oddly there is no genetic link with me so the cause is unknown, however, i worked at the time as an apprentice panel beater, spending every day sanding and spraying cars, i would go home each day a different colour depending on the colour of car i'd been sanding and my boss was'nt big on protecting me from hazordous dangers and i was too young to consider them, i still believe to this day lead from the paint fumes and sanding cars caused my KC.

i am going into hospital on monday for a cornea graft on both eyes, my question....is this the right thing for me to do ? i developed hydrop in my right eye about 6 months ago and was told my only option was the graft, yet in the time since then my right eye seems to have recovered, i rely entirely on my left eye which always was the weaker eye, prior to that i had relied on my stronger right eye which gave me good vision, i am unsure if it is right for me to get both eyes done as many on here appear to have taken the option of just having the one eye done, i have also read about the recent development in the us in which they have sucessfully taken stem cells from the bone marrow and grown corneas, for anyone in need of a transplant this would appear to offer a better option than doner tissue for obvious reasons.

when i was diagnosed there was little understanding of this condition and today there is much more help available, the condition is diagnosed earlier and if this is done the condition can be stopped in it's tracks early which i think is great, back then when i got it, i was told i had lazy eyes and they would get stronger, so my diagnosis did take some time.

i am unsure if i should get a graft in both eyes as it appears to be very much down to the operation and how the patient responds to the graft and of the course the aftercare which seems fairly important. i would like to hear from anyone who has had both eyes done and how they got on with that.

craig

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: graft time

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 09 Feb 2008 12:04 pm

Craig

Like you, I am the first member of my family ever to show any signs of KC. Your theory may just be right.

Your Hydrops in the right eye may be clearing up which will give you improved sight, but would not be accompanied by any improvement in the front of the cornea.

The decision has to be yours. I have had both eyes done, but not at the same time. I think that it is probably quite unusual to be offered surgery in both eyes at the same time. Unlike me, however, your ophthalmologist has seen your eyes, and has given you his or her best advice.

I know that this must be a difficult time for you, especially as you are approaching "D" day!

Just for general information, an episode of Hydrops in some places is an automatic indicator for graft surgery as it means that the cornea is suffering both at the front and the back.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 09 Feb 2008 1:03 pm

Hi Craig and welcome!
People who need grafts in both eyes are a minority - having said that, there are a few of us on this forum. Mine were done over 20 years ago but two years apart. That meant I still had some useful vision out of one eye while the first graft was healing and then the grafted eye took over when I had the second one done. I think there's another Anne on this forum who had hers one year apart, but I haven't come across anyone who's had both eyes done at the same time (maybe someone will prove me wrong). Have you had the opportunity to talk to your consultant about how this is going to work for you? I realise time is now very short, but you're the one who signs the consent forms, and as Andrew says, it's your decision. So do make sure you get the chance to talk through all the implications when you go to the hospital on Monday.
Anne

craigm
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby craigm » Sat 09 Feb 2008 7:40 pm

hi Andrew and Anne, many thanks for your advice, i cope reasonably well with the sight i have left in the left eye, it was my weaker eye but at least i can still drive and do most things although it is a bit disabling, my consultant said when i saw him the same thing could happen to my left eye ie: the hydrops which happened to the right eye, he also said after surgery i would have about the vision i have in my right eye but when asked he could not tell me whether that would aided or unaided, he also adviced me that i would be off work for about 3 weeks, is this unrealistic for a cornea transplant ? time is limited now and i wish i'd come accross this forum earlier, i'd hate to deprive someone else of a transplant by refusing the second cornea but i do have reasonable vision in my left eye aided.

many thanks

craig

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 09 Feb 2008 7:46 pm

craig

I know that this is hard, especially with the time frame being so short.

You may have an opportunity on Monday to speak with the ophthalmologist. When I went into hospital for each of my grafts the anesthetist and the ophthalmologist both came to see me in the ward. If this is what happens at your hospital, take time to ask the ophthalmologist to explain again what is going to happen.

If it is the clear expectation of the ophthalmologist that both eyes will be grafted on Monday, ask what are the indicators for this, what are the benefits and what are the drawbacks.

Even if you do not see the ophthalmologist, you will certainly speak with the admissions nurse. Ask what is on your notes for the day's work. If it is indeed their intention to do both eyes on the same occasion, then ask why.

If it is only the intention to graft one eye on Monday and to do the other at a later date, then you fall more neatly into the normal experience of double-graftees on the site. You will have time to discuss the second graft at a later date.

In the end, only you can decide what is going to happen to your eyes. I do admit that I postponed my first transplant rather longer than I ought, but I was in control at every stage. Only when I was satisfied that the graft was the right action did I agree to have it done.

Every good wish for Monday.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby james mckinlay » Sun 10 Feb 2008 6:14 pm

HI SORRY TO HEAR YOU MAY NEED GRAFTS.

I WAS LAUGHING READING YOUR POST NOT THAT ITS FUNNY ITS JUST I WAS THE SAME BUT IT MAY JUST BE THAT YOU ARE STUBBOURN AND DONT WANT TO ADMIT YOUR VISION ISNT SO GOOD IT CA TAKE ALONG TIME TO ACCEPT THAT ITS NOT THAT GREAT.

HOWEVER GRAFTS ARE PAINLESS AND A SUPERB WAY OF INCREASING YOUR QAULITY OF VISION AD ONE THING THAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER IS THT NO MATTER HOW BAD YOUR VISION MAY BE THE ONLY THIN THAT CAN STOP US DOING ANYTHING WE LIKE I OURSELVES I HAVE LOST COUNT OF THE NUMBER OF TIMES I HAVE BEEN TOLD YOU CANT DO THAT WITH YOUR VISION I AM BLIND IN ONE EYE AND ABOUT JUST UNDER HALF BLIND IN MY RIGHT EYE.

BUT I TOOK UP KICK BOXING AND MMANGED TO FINISH 4TH PLACE IN THE SCOTTISH CAMPIONSHIPS

SO IF YOU NEED TIME TO THNK ABOUT YOUR GRAFT TAKE TIME

ALSO I HAD 2 GRAFTS BUT MY SURGEON WOULD ONLY DO ONE AT A TIME ITS UNUSUAL TO HAVE BOTH DONE AT THE SAME TIME

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP AND UE HE FORUM WHEN YOU HAVE TO THERE ARE ALOT OF HELPFULL PEOPLE HERE

AL THE BEST JAMES
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Wed 13 Feb 2008 7:28 am

good luck with your procedure.
my experience of a graft was not pain free, but not too hectic. 1st night was quite bad, but after that it was manageable for 1 week. then relatively painfree.
i am back at work today- 1 week. but i wont be going in full time. i still feel queasy and disorientated from the general and reading is difficult. i am managing to check my emails at home and my brain and ears are still working, so that is okay- it really depends what kind of work you do.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”