Graft Melissa.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Graft Melissa.

Postby melissa » Tue 05 Feb 2008 7:42 am

Just to let you all know. My waiting is over.
My doctor called last night to say a donor cornea has arrived from the USA. I am in South Africa, and the wait in SA can be 2 years, so I have been on a USA list, where the surplus donor corneas are sent over by air. Unfortunately this process takes a while, so there is not much warning. I am having my transplant surgery tonight at 6pm. less than 24 hours warning.
Its a bit of a shock, but in some ways may be better. less chance to worry i suppose.
i am at work now trying to urgently complete things and hand over to other people. I am very nervous, but i know i have to just go ahead and do it. will let you all know how it goes as soon as i can get back on the computer.
thanks for all the advice BTW. it really has helped me prepare for this. without this website i think i would be much more nervous.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Graft Melissa.

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 05 Feb 2008 8:01 am

Melissa

Wow, that's quick. Not in the overall sense, but when the cornea became available to the time you were being prepped seems like a good service.

I guess that by now you have had your cornea replaced, so all the best with your recovery! How are things?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Fri 08 Feb 2008 6:37 am

SORRY ABOUT THE TYPING. i cant really proof read this
well it's now done. Had the surgery at 6pm on Tuesday Night. I was VERY nervous, and was snapping at everyone in the hospital- HOSPITAL RAGE.
I had a hectic day at work trying to hand everything over, but managed to sort all of that out. i couldn't eat or drink though, so by lunchtime i had a headache and was grumpy. at 3pm I dropped into my doctors rooms- which are attached to the hospital. then i went down to be admitted. that took forever as i think they have less staff at admissions in the afternoons. i finally made it to the ward and went through all the million questions. the anaethetist came to see me, and managed to calm me down quite a bit. i only lost my grip once, and was actually pretty calm by the time they wheeled me into the theatre. the worst bit was that i had to take my other lens out, so i was totally blind and couldn't see where they were taking me. i recognised my doctor and the anaethtists voices, which were comforting. the anaethetist put a drip in and before i knew it is was waking up in the recovery ward. i wsa back in the main ward by 9pm, and my wonderful partner was there to meet me and hold my hand.
i had a sore throat but the pain wasn't bad. i was starving so my man organised me some food which forced down my throat. the doctor suggested that i stay overnight, and i was kept on a drip. the night wasn't great. the pain got a lot more severe, and at about 2am i recall having about 9/10 pain. the ward sister gave me an injection which helped straight away (although it made my arm sore).
at 8am my doctor dropped into the ward and i went up to his rooms so that he could have a look under the slit lamp. all looked good. so i 'checked- out' and went home.
i have been at home since wednesday morning and its been better than i thought. there is pain and i am taking TREMACET every 4 hours. this painkiller seems to make my skin itch, so i am going to try to get a different one today. i also have anitbiotic drops every 1 hour- now every 2 hours SPERSADEX COMP. thats it.
i am going again to doctor today- just in case and to get new prescription, but it is generally all okay.
vision is very blurry- but i expected that.

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Fri 08 Feb 2008 7:59 am

Hi melissa,
((((huge hugs))) congratulations for making it through your graft and well done !!. you should be proud of yourself!!.
take it easy for a while, and bask in your mans attention :D
take care
kind regards
nicola

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 08 Feb 2008 8:29 am

melissa

The only time in my life I ever visited South Africa was in your winter and the light was so bright that I went about all day with heavy sunglasses and a broad brimmed hat (actually the hat was a fashion choice; I like them :oops: ). Make sure that you protect your eyes from the light.

Well done on making it through to this point. We are proud of you.

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Sat 09 Feb 2008 4:48 pm

thanks guys. i am resting. getting a bit bored. cornea hasnet cleared at all yet. doctor had another look yesterday and even gave me his cell phone number to call ANYTIME if i am worried. doctor changed my painkillers to Stopayne (which is paracetemol) and didnt work at all- at abou t8 last night i buckled and went to emeregncy pharmacy for Myprodol, which is working fine and doesn't make me feel as funny as the first painkiller. i have to eat with it, which is the hardest part.
Funnily my eyes have not been very light sensitive- but i haven't ventured out much. i always have wraparound sunglasses with me anyway- as you say Andrew the light is bright here. overcast days are the worst actually.
my audiobooks are saving my sanity. i suggest those for anyone who needs to do this.
i am hoping to see some change in the next few days.
thanks for the wishes.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 09 Feb 2008 6:26 pm

Don't be too disappointed if you do not see an early improvement in your sight. Your new cornea is being held in place by sutures and you may not have a good idea of the long term benefit until they are out.

Good to hear from you.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”