other options

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

other options

Postby nicola jayne » Mon 28 Jan 2008 1:35 pm

Hi all,
I am back to see my consultant next monday, my astigmatism has gone from 2.50 - 5.00 in the last 5 weeks, when I last saw him it was at 3.00. He was quite shocked :shock: that it had changed so much, and wanted to see how I got on with a new lens for a month. Anyway I had a new lens and my vision is still blurry so it has changed again.
My stitches came out in october , I am just wondering what options there are to try and get the vision a bit better in my grafted eye ?. I really really do not want to go down the contact lens road, is there anything else that can be done :?:.
He did mention laser treatment if the astigmatism got past 2.50 which it has, but he also said that with laser treatment I would have to have the other graft on my left eye done quite soon aswell. Why ? will the other graft have to be done so soon ?.
any advice wout be great, as I am just a bit confused at the moment :?
thanks
kind regards
nicola

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: other options

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 28 Jan 2008 1:44 pm

Lots of questions all at once!

One at a time: it may just be that the clinical indicators for a graft have appeared in your second eye.

Has he mentioned laser treatment again? There is at least one person in the Scottish group who had lasik treatment after a graft, and one ophthalmologist who came to speak to us did mention this as an available option. How do you feel about the prospect?

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Mon 28 Jan 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks Andrew,
I dont mind the idea of laser treatment at all, I just dont feel ready to go through another graft just yet lol unless it's really the last straw, the impression I got off my Dr was that he would graft the other eye ('' you will have to have the other one done if I do laser'' ) and then laser the two of them. The left eye was only diagnosed 2 years ago so is still in the early stages although It has a high level of astigmatism. I lived with the right eye forever without vision lol, and am quite happy to wait until they cant correct the left eye anymore with glasses before I have the other graft. Sorry for rambling again lol, I just don't want to wear contacts ever :evil: I will be seeing him on monday anyway so I will know more then I hope ... he says a lot without saying anything if you know what I mean. Although I do trust him and think he is a great consultant. :)

oohh but will I be awake for laser ?..... thats different lol

nicola

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 28 Jan 2008 3:29 pm

I had always imagined that Laser treatment was done while the patient was awake.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”