I'd love some new eyes!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

I'd love some new eyes!

Postby Lesley Foster » Mon 14 Jan 2008 7:20 pm

Hi folks,

I went to the opticians yesterday just for a sight test. The vision in my left eye is virtually non existant even with my scleral in and my right eye is slightly more shortsighted. I can see reasonably well with both eyes I have to say. I am having bifocals to save me keep having to swap glasses all the time and to cap it all I now have cataracts developing in both eyes.

I told her my vision is much better when I wear my sunglasses and she thinks it may be because of the shape of my cone and light entering it. (I'm going to ask Ken next time I see him.) My new glasses will have a slight tint to them to see if it makes any difference. She is also going to see if she can get me a pair of single pinhole glasses so I can give my eyes a rest from the scleral lenses occaissionally as I wear them for about 16 hours daily.

It is just sooooo frustrating having to rely on other people to drive me around now because I have had to stop for the past year.

Well that's my moan, thanks for listening. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Lesley.

ps Happy New Year one and all.
Live long and Prosper.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: I'd love some new eyes!

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 15 Jan 2008 7:37 am

Lesley

Have you been registered blind or partially sighted? If not, I really think it might be worth asking your ophthalmologist about registration; it does nothing for your sight but it does open a whole range of support options for you.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lesley Foster » Tue 15 Jan 2008 10:43 am

Thanks Andrew,

I will look into it, no pun intended! I have wondered whether i would be eligible because my sight is ok with my lenses in but absolutely useless without them. I'll let you know how I get on.

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Tue 15 Jan 2008 12:31 pm

Hi Lesley.

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling at the moment.

I lived with cataracts, without knowing it for a number of years, and it reached the stage where I had to wear sunglasses to watch tv and I sometimes had baths with the light off. I found the symptoms to be very similar to KC and thought the next step was a graft.

I had the cataracts sorted earlier in the year and I can't believe how well I am now seeing, albeit with a few comfort issues with my lenses.

Obviously your situation may be entirely different to mine, but hopefully cataract surgery will help you in a similar way.
Please have a listen to my daughter, if you have a spare moment, on www.myspace.com/emmaparnes. She also wrote the songs.

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lesley Foster » Fri 18 Jan 2008 7:00 pm

Well I now have my bifocals and it's really strange. I think it will take a while to get ised to them so hopefu;;y I won't fall down the stair too many times :D

Don't know if the optician has managed to find out about the pinhole lenses yet as she was busy when I picked my glasses up, I'll try and find out next week.

Till then if you hear lots of screams you'll know it's me missing the stairs again. :o

Cheers All.

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Pat A » Fri 18 Jan 2008 7:49 pm

Michael P wrote:
I sometimes had baths with the light off

Sorry Michael - I had to laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought all of us when we get to our age tended to have baths with the lights off.....easier on the eyes I guess....but nothing to do with having KC.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Sat 19 Jan 2008 5:55 pm

Pat A wrote:
Michael P wrote:
I sometimes had baths with the light off

Sorry Michael - I had to laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought all of us when we get to our age tended to have baths with the lights off.....easier on the eyes I guess....but nothing to do with having KC.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Easier on the eyes for whom Pat?
Please have a listen to my daughter, if you have a spare moment, on www.myspace.com/emmaparnes. She also wrote the songs.

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lesley Foster » Thu 21 Feb 2008 1:41 pm

Hi folks,

Haven't been here for a while but thought I'd let you know how things are going.

I'm managing ok with the bifocals, only slipped up once! I went and saw KP last week and he is very pleased with me doesn't want to see me for another year/18 months so that's good. I haven't done anything about the pinhole glasses yet, have had a few other things on my plate, but Ken suggested a circle of holes with one in the centre so I must sort that out.

He took some photos of the inside of my eyes which were quite fascinating, sorry I don't have copies for you to see, but the right one clearly showed the scar across my retina which should mean I shouldn't have very much vision from it at all so it is a surprise to everyone how much I can see with it. Somebody up there likes me that is the only explanationwe have. :o

Other than that things are ok, frustrating at times but ok. like I say my sight maybe good but the vision is c**p :D

Cheers all.

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”