Donor waiting time

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

AlexMorgan
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Donor waiting time

Postby AlexMorgan » Sat 12 Jan 2008 9:37 pm

I have recently been told that I am at a stage where transplant is the only option left for my right eye. I was just wondering if people can tell me what is the average waiting time for a transplant because I am currently in the middle of a post-graduate teacher training course and I can't take any time out at all until it is finished on 4th July and I will hopefully be starting my first teaching job in September. If I went on the list now would I realistically get a transplant in July or August and be fully fit to work in September.

At the moment I've said I will put of transplant for a long as possible because I have almost perfect vision in my left eye, but I would like to get it sorted if I can because it is obviously affecting my day-to-day life a fair bit.

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: Donor waiting time

Postby Asif » Sun 13 Jan 2008 2:58 am

for my left eye i had to wait 6 months and that was with me calling my dr's secretary every week to see if anyone cancelled or if there were any sooner dates.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Donor waiting time

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 13 Jan 2008 8:55 am

Alex

When your ophthalmologist is talking to you about a graft, just mention that you have important exams upcoming, and that you would prefer not to have the operation before a date of your choosing. I have always found that ophthalmologists are only too willing to accommodate their patients, and a longer date may be an advantage to the theatre planning.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”