Intacs reduce ghosting?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

timtim
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Intacs reduce ghosting?

Postby timtim » Thu 10 Jan 2008 12:32 pm

Sorry for all the Intacs questions (I'm obviously looking into getting them). My next question is: Has anyone had success with Intacs reducing the ghosting/blurring effect that KC causes? The reason I ask is because someone on this site said that the surgery didn't help them with this at all, and reducing it would be one of the main things I would hope for out of the surgery.

I understand that this is something that probably varies from person-to-person (as pretty much everything is with KC), but I'm just interested to know if even one person has had the ghosting reduced from it. That would increase my confidence in the potential outcome of the procedure.

:)

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Re: Intacs reduce ghosting?

Postby Karl R » Fri 11 Jan 2008 7:30 am

Can't say about the ghosting being reduced as I never had that. However the starburst ad halo significantly dropped in intensity afterwards.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: Intacs reduce ghosting?

Postby Asif » Sun 13 Jan 2008 2:56 am

the ghosting and distortion is becuase of irregular astigmatism from the irregular corneal surface. the intact rings are instered to try and flatten the cornea and make it less regular. as with all surgery the intacts may or may not help you. but from what i have read so far on intacts it may not help a great deal on its own, but because the cornea hopefully will become flatter a contact lens will be able to fit better and be more tolerable.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”