Graft Update

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Graft Update

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 09 Jan 2008 10:02 am

Hi,
I just thought I would let you know how my graft is progressing...

My graft is now 6 weeks old. I have had 6 weeks off work as fortunately I have a very understanding employer. During that time I have had no real discomfort apart from the first few days. I have not been allowed to do any sport :( which was a culture shock :shock: Anyway apart from putting on 6Kg the op was a great success. I saw the consultant last week and he is very positive, saying that he thinks I will achieve 20/20 in that eye by the time he is finished with it. Also because it is a partial thickness graft I will have the option of returning to diving should I wish to do so. :D My sight in that eye has slightly improved already and is back at 6/60 even with the sutures still in.
In short; it is looking good. :D And I am back to sports again :D (although cycling into work against 100 mph winds this morning was a little emotional! :? )

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Graft Update

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 09 Jan 2008 1:20 pm

Matthew_ wrote:Hi,

My graft is now 6 weeks old. I have had 6 weeks off work as fortunately I have a very understanding employer. During that time I have had no real discomfort apart from the first few days. I have not been allowed to do any sport :( which was a culture shock :shock: Anyway apart from putting on 6Kg the op was a great success. I saw the consultant last week and he is very positive, saying that he thinks I will achieve 20/20 in that eye by the time he is finished with it. Also because it is a partial thickness graft I will have the option of returning to diving should I wish to do so. :D My sight in that eye has slightly improved already and is back at 6/60 even with the sutures still in.
In short; it is looking good. :D And I am back to sports again :D (although cycling into work against 100 mph winds this morning was a little emotional! :? )

Matthew

Well done, on every front. back at work; sight improving, back to sport and the possibility of returning to diving! that has to count as a positive outcome!

At to the winds; they'll be behind you on your way home. I can see the headlines in the Helensburgh Bugle (or whatever your local paper is called)

Cyclist clocked at 100 mph in 30 zone!
Police in Mercy Dash
Probe Looms
:D

Seriously, well done!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 09 Jan 2008 1:38 pm

He he he :D :lol: :lol: You made me laugh! Yes I'll be home in record time! :D I always feel seen off when the wind is against you going into work and then veers so you have pedal against it going home! :cry:

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 09 Jan 2008 4:46 pm

My sister in law takes her yacht out of the marina and sails down wind. I asked her why she does not sail upwind first so that her return can be with rather than against the wind.

Her reply was that if the wind shifted after she had sailed upwind out of the marina then she would sail upwind back again. If the wind shifted after she had sailed downwind then her return would also be with the wind. Made sense to me!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Graft Update -DIVING

Postby melissa » Fri 11 Jan 2008 9:40 am

Matthew,

You mentioned diving. Do you mean scuba diving? i am waiting for a full thickness PK, and my doctor has told me that i should be able to dive after a few months (once it is fully healed). Does anyone know any reasons why this may not be so?
Melissa

alvin18
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby alvin18 » Fri 11 Jan 2008 8:19 pm

Matthew_ wrote:Hi,

first...excuse my English. Hi, i'm from Estonia. my graft is also about 6 weeks old, corneal transplantation was in 07. Dec 2007. a week after operation i was able to work (officeman on pc). same here...no sport, alcohol and bath. right after operation i had a feeling like god damned grit is in my eye, tears flowed etc. Now it is better of course, but sometime i feel this "grit" or just that something is in my eye, i hope this is normal (next inspection next week). sight is a little better than before corneal transplantation...but still this multiply objects...but i think its due to the suture and recovery takes time.

good to read your stories and to keep track of your recovery...

best,
alvin

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 12 Jan 2008 2:16 pm

alvin18

Welcome to the forum. it is good to see a member from Estonia!

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Asif » Sun 13 Jan 2008 3:10 am

i hope your wearing eye protection if cycling in windy conditions as you dont want a foreign body entering yur eye and risking infection.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”