Contact lens with Intacs

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

dplees
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Contact lens with Intacs

Postby dplees » Mon 31 Dec 2007 6:08 pm

Hi,

Could someone tell me if it is possible to get contact lenses fitted after Intacts as I still don't get 20/20 with glasses? I have spoken to several high street opticians who don't beleive this is possible. I am very keen to find out about Scleral lenses or Kerasoft etc I'd also be interested to find out what the average cost of these lenses is?

many thanks again.

happy new year

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Re: Contact lens with Intacs

Postby Lynn White » Tue 01 Jan 2008 10:45 am

Hi dplees

Yes, generally, one can wear contacts after intacs. The intacs are intended to improve the shape of the cornea so in theory it should be easier to fit contacts afterwards as the eye is now a more regular shape.

However, I have been looking at your posts and I see you have been having quite a few problems. As far as I can understand, you have corneal scarring from an extruding intac (now fixed) which is outside the optical zone, you had an increase in astigmatism that you are still adjusting to in glasses and you now do not quite get 20/20 with some ghosting still.

It could be here that your cornea is still settling and some of the ghosting may be due to the astigmatism not yet being quite fully corrected. Certainly contacts could help reduce these effects. However, I am not sure from your post whether optoms are saying to you that contacts are not possible after intacs in general or are talking about your eyes in particular. It is impossible to give specific advice on this sort of thing on message boards and I can only say that you need to take the advice of the professionals you are seeing.

In another post, Eddie suggested you go back to Centre for Sight for an assessment of your problems and this seems like a good idea. They will be able to tell you if contacts are possible or likely to reduce your visual symptoms. It may be that you are suffering the effects of residual distortion or abberations and they will be able to measure that. With the number of problems you have had and continue to have, most High Street optometrists would be unhappy to proceed with contact lenses without a backup opinion from an ophthalmologist.
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

dplees
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dplees » Tue 01 Jan 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for your message Lynn.
When i have spoken to the opticians they have said that it wouldn't be possible to fit me with contact lenses as my eye is not flat due to the Intacs sticking out slightly (only 80% is below the surface of the eye). I have an appointment with centre for sight booked in May, I dont really want to go back before this as my vision is very good considering my KC, I guess my real problem is the headaches from working in front of a computer, which seem odd as I can see the screen fairly easily.
For future reference could you please tell me how I could go about getting Kerasoft lenses? I live in the Watford Herts area.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Tue 01 Jan 2008 12:18 pm

Ahhh I thought it was something specific to you....!!

I'll pm you about KeraSoft.
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Wed 02 Jan 2008 2:06 pm

Good luck dp
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Return to “General Discussion Forum”