Walking

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Vicky Houston
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Walking

Postby Vicky Houston » Mon 17 Dec 2007 3:15 pm

Does anyone else ever have problems with falling over, missing steps and misjudging paths?

I managed to fall at the weekend this time i hurt my cheek as well as my poor knees :oops: Am kind of hoping it's not just me this happends to!

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Walking

Postby Matthew_ » Mon 17 Dec 2007 3:22 pm

Rest assured, many of us are experienced in the subtle art of randomly falling over. :oops: My particular favourite, tripping up the stairs! Its because its so difficult to judge distance in the absence of sharp or single edges. I now tap the base of each step with my toe before lifting my leg so as get an idea of where the edge is. Another thing I have done is to count the stairs at work and home, so I am sure when they have finished and so I don't climb the non-existant step at the end which is in fact a double of a real step. Beyond that, I am very good at falling over. We could start our won Charlie Chaplin act! :D

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 18 Dec 2007 10:42 am

Me too!

You just have to get used to thinking always that there is going to be a step. I go down steps sideways, keeping my weight on the upper step until my foot comes into contact with the lower one.

Guessing where the bottom step is can be an adventure, but if you assume that there is going to be another one, then it is easy to find when you have come to the last. The other things is judging where the top step comes. If you know you are coming to a flight of steps and there is no marker, then you can usually feel with a toe and find the top one.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Wed 19 Dec 2007 12:41 pm

I walk into everything. Doors, door posts, stairs, tables, etc. and constantly covered with bruises.
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Return to “General Discussion Forum”