RGP Contact Lenses, Sometimes Blurry. Advice?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

undertow
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

RGP Contact Lenses, Sometimes Blurry. Advice?

Postby undertow » Sat 15 Dec 2007 1:11 pm

I have recently been issued with RGP contacts to help with my KC. I have been wearing them for a few months now and I'd say that I have more or less got used to them but one thing still bugs me.

Sometimes when I put them in either one or the other will be really blurry, sometimes worse than if I had not put it in at all. I have tried just leaving the offending lens in to see if it will settle down or something but it never does. I have checked and they are sitting in the right place, they just seem to be really blurry. Sometimes it looks (from looking through them) like there is a large amount of tear trapped between the lens and the eye, but I thought that was supposed to happen? Sometimes squinting and moving the lens around will allow me to see "around" the blur, sometimes not.

The only solution seems to be to take the lens out and put it back in over and over until eventually I can get good vision through it. This is a bit of pain if I am at work!

Weirdly they never go blurry if they are OK after I put them in, the blurriness only seems to be introduced at the insertion stage. I have tried drying them before putting them in, wetting them with saline, leaving the conditioner on them, washing the conditioner off & I clean them diligently every night, but to no real effect.

Its not much a gripe, but still it bugs me, particularly at work.

Any tips?

thanks in advance!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: RGP Contact Lenses, Sometimes Blurry. Advice?

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 15 Dec 2007 2:00 pm

undertow

Welcome to the forum. I wonder if the 'blurriness' is due to your having particularly viscose tears?

My suggestion would be;

a) bathe your eye using saline

b.1) clean your lens thoroughly
b.2) wet with saline
b.3) insert :D

If you still have problems, go back to the people who dispensed your lenses.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Sat 15 Dec 2007 3:27 pm

Hi undertow and welcome.

i wonder whether there could be a protein build-up on the lenses. Have you been using protein removal tablets?

Perhaps a change of cleaning/soaking solutions could help.

Ultimately, as Andrew suggests, you may need to seek the advice of your lens practitioner or other professional.

Please let us know how you resolve the problem.
Please have a listen to my daughter, if you have a spare moment, on www.myspace.com/emmaparnes. She also wrote the songs.

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Val G » Sat 15 Dec 2007 5:59 pm

Hi

I find not putting the lenses in too early in the morning helps avoid blurriness. It is as if all the gunk is picked up onto the lenses if I put them in first thing. I struggle to work half blind on the bus, then put them in at work, this gives my eyes a chance to clear.

undertow

Postby undertow » Tue 18 Dec 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I am still experimenting to see what works best. I have purchased an eye bath and am enjoying it very much!

I have another query though.

Without lenses the vision in my right eye is substantially worse than my left. If I am a few feet away from a monitor at 1024x768 normal DPI I will have difficulty reading 12 point text.

My vision in my left eye is still pretty smudgy but I can read the afore mentioned computer text without too much difficulty. I still get a lot of double images and whatnot, but the "real" text is still fairly clear in the middle of it all.

Now the strange thing is that with contact lenses in my vision in my right eye is quite a bit better than my left! "Normal" 10-12 point computer text is quite clearly defined, but, with my left eye its still quite messy.

Any ideas as to why this might be? If I swap the lenses it doesn't really have much impact so I am guessing the lenses are 'maxed-out' power wise. Is this likely to be the case?

What sort of reasons could there be for my left eye not achieving the same degree of correction as my right, considering that it has a notable head start.

Its something that I'll discuss with my opto (I'm going to give it a few weeks given how changeable KC is) but I was just looking for some feedback in the meantime.

thanks again!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 19 Dec 2007 8:40 am

Through all the years that I wore contact lenses, my left eye (with a lens) still had poorer sight than my right eye (slso with a lens). To complicate matters the size of the image that I got with my left eye was not the same as the size with my right, so that I had to 'switch off' and eye, selectively. For some purposes (like reading) my left eye was better, while for others I used my right eye.

I have seen others post here that they do the same sort of thing, and it very quickly becomes automatic as you focus on objects that are nearer or farther away.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”