Really fed up, cant sleep, struggling to work, bills to pay

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

dplees
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Really fed up, cant sleep, struggling to work, bills to pay

Postby dplees » Wed 12 Dec 2007 4:58 am

A couple of years ago I had Intacs implanted to manage Keratoconus. Unfortunately the Intac extruded and left some scaring. I have since had the Intac reimplanted however when I look at the computer screen or white lights I get ghosting / haze which is very unpleasant and prevents my vision from being as good as it should be.
Does anyone know if/where it is possible to get treatment to remove the scar, i have read that PTK is a treatment for scar removal however I dont know if keratoconus contraindicates this? Is it likely that the scar will disappear over time or am i stuck with it for life?
I am so fed up, i have thought my blurred vision was a result of KC for the last 2 years, however I have found the blurred vision is the result of a clinics incompetance.

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Really fed up, cant sleep, struggling to work, bills to pay

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 12 Dec 2007 7:42 am

Hey dplees, this must be dreadful. One of the problems with new therapies is that it can be hard at the outset to anticipate the problems that might arise. It is for this very reason that NHS ethics committees are so fixated on the need for the patient's informed consent to any intervention.

Have they said wither a future graft might remove the scarred tissue?

Hang in there. We are thinking of you.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

dplees
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dplees » Wed 12 Dec 2007 8:38 am

Hopefully I wont need a graft, my vision is 6/6 the only issue is the ghosting which is driving me insane.
I have found several clinics on the web that appear to use PTK to treat scars, I am wondering if this is an option. If not I'm hoping that the scar will just heal over time - this tends to be the case with most other scars ive had on my body

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 12 Dec 2007 10:41 am

All the best with that.

If a graft does become necessary, you may be heartened to know that my right eye now has 6/6+ (with glasses) and my left eye continues to improve.

I did have 'ghosting' for quite a time after my surgery, and while I do know that my procedure was different to yours, I now see without that annoying effect.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Wed 19 Dec 2007 12:46 pm

Hi dplees,

Have you seeked advice from East Grinstead - I think I remember you saying that you had the successful intacs there.

The only reason I ask is Mr Daya (I think/remember) said at the conference that they use the laser there to remove scarring and other errors caused by previous mechanical/laser surgery.

Good luck

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Return to “General Discussion Forum”