RGP Lenses and Plane Travel

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

leggy84

RGP Lenses and Plane Travel

Postby leggy84 » Sun 11 Nov 2007 11:16 pm

Hello! I was just wondering if you guys have any advice on wearing contacts on a plane. This is the first time im travelling with my contacts and wearing glasses is simply not an option because my KC is so advanced that i can't see a thing with my lenses. Its also a difficult situation because i heard contacts fluids are not allowed on board and i can also only wear them for 8hrs a day. I will be spending about 19hrs travelling so as you can tell... BIG Dilema! Pls Help

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Re: RGP Lenses and Plane Travel

Postby Eddie S » Sun 11 Nov 2007 11:37 pm

Hi Leggy,
I cant remember the limits but you are allowed a certain amount of solution, us your lenses case in your hand luggage - check the relevant Uk airport site for details.

The bottles also have to be clear. I got mine from Boots.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 12 Nov 2007 7:21 am

Hi leggy

I used to take my RGP lenses out before boarding a commercial aircraft. This left me legally blind for the flight, but the alternative would have been wearing lenses in the dry atmosphere of the cabin, and that would have led to a pain that I could do without.

If youa dpot this strategy, let the airline know that you have a visual impairement. They will go out of their way to make sure that everything is comfortable for you.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Mon 12 Nov 2007 9:16 am

Hi, me again.

I wore my RGPs when I flew across to Dublin and used the clear bottles as I just wanted to go with hand luggage.

When I went to NY a few years back (after 9/11) I took my lenses out half way through the flight (just took my lenses case with saline inside it), and then back in again just before we started to descend.

One thing you should think about when taking your lenses in and out on an aircraft is turbulance and aircraft toilets. After trying it myself, I'd think seriously about Andrew's suggestion! :lol:

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Grifteruk
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Grifteruk » Mon 12 Nov 2007 9:35 am

At the start of Sept of this year i flew from Heathrow to Nairobi which is an 8 hour flight. When then had another 1 hour conecting flight after that.

I, like you, cannot see a thing without lenses so i took a small (50ml) bottle of comfort drops (it was not a clear bottle), my lens case and a small mirror with me on the flight. i also took quite a few soft lenses to use as a bandage in case my lenses started to hurt.

I kept them all in my hand luggage and didnt have any problems with them going through the airport checks. I dont think there have been any changes in recent months but there is a phone number you can call if you want to check (but i dont know it!!)

I took my lenses out once on the flight but it was nowhere as bad as i thought it would be. if your on a plane for that long then your likely to sleep anyway so you'll get a chance ot take them out.

However you do need to watch the toilets as they are pretty difficult to use for changing lenses. I just did it in my seat with my g,friend keeping a watching eye in case i dropped one!!!

leggy84

Postby leggy84 » Mon 12 Nov 2007 9:39 am

Thanks guys. Lol! That was my worry when i thought about taking them out and putting them back in during the flight. I frequently drop my lenses when im trying to put them in and will be totally horrified if i dropped them in the airplane toilet!!! I may just have to take a little mirror in my handbag and do it at my seat :-)

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Mon 12 Nov 2007 10:27 am

I think its 100ml, the bottles you can take. You can get travel packs now from the chemist and on-line (I use post-optics) which come in a see-through bag, with regulation bottles; enough for the flight at least.

Get a life...get a dog!

nittynora
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby nittynora » Wed 14 Nov 2007 1:30 pm

I am glad to see someone posting about this problem.... Last time I went to Moorfields they claimed no one had brought up this problem!!! I got a prescription for 30 ml containers of Saline (cut them open before I go on plane as no scissors allowed) but, where can I get 100mls or less bottles of wetting solution???? I always take my lens out on long flights and think it is safer to do this in your seat.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 14 Nov 2007 3:56 pm

nittynora

Welcome to the forum. I see that they have "travel packs" in Boots the Chemist.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Thu 15 Nov 2007 11:23 pm

I am not KC but have worn CL's for as long as I can remember...

Definitely take your lenses out in your seat! My strategy was to take my lenses out an hour or two after take off.... especially if it was a time when you can doze......and only put back in near to landing. I only did the toilet option once and let me tell you - there is no room to crawl around on the floor looking for dropped lenses!

To be absolutely sure on what you can and can't do, check with the airport and explain your problem. I know you feel that not wearing your lenses is not an option BUT..... the atmosphere tends to be so dry and irritating on long haul that, if you wear your lenses too much, you can end up not being able to wear your lenses when you land. That has happened to me before now - I ended up with very sensitive eyes and no prescription sunglasses, so spent the holiday with eyes firmly shut. I never did find out what the place looked like!
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”