PUS/CONTACT LENSES

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Thu 14 Apr 2005 7:22 pm

Ian

this is hard to work out without seeing the lens in the eye and doing tests...

if Systane is not working at all - its not just a dry eye prob.. this is sounding more like a fitting problem as a well. Or possibly allergy. It is definitely a response to some sort of irritation.

It could very well be protein... I gave my own lenses a protein clean the other night and my own right lens prob has settled very much. So you could try that an dif a small improvement is felt - do it again!

Lynn

Ian Crutchley
Contributor
Contributor

PUS/CONTACT LENSES

Postby Ian Crutchley » Fri 15 Apr 2005 5:46 pm

Hi

When I was diagnosed in 1997 I started to use Sauflon One Step Peroxide System & then when I moved on to the piggyback lenses I was advised to use the Quattro Abatron system which is what you mentioned Susan. I use Amiclair actually, well Amiclair tablets, but didn't realise the protein connection. I was told place a Amiclair tablet in the case provided, this is different to my lens case, along with the Quattro solution & then my lens & leave overnight. This I do once a week as directed. Perhaps I should this nightly.
I found your comments interesting Lynn & wonder because it's the right eye only whether it is some sort of irritation, it's something I'll have to ask my consultant.

Thanks
Ian

I wouldn't

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Fri 15 Apr 2005 10:17 pm

Ian

From what you describe you are cleaning the lenses as directed to remove the protein (from my understanding).

I wouldn't have expected that you would need to do this nightly, just weekly as you have been however, if it is just one lens that is causing problems maybe an extra clean with the amiclair would be worth a try.

Maybe your practitioner will help with advice.

Susan

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Wed 04 May 2005 4:13 pm

Hello Ian

How are things going with the lens and the 'pus' ?

I was at the contact lens clinic last Thursday and was discussing the same problem, they couldn't offer much advice that I had not already tried although they did say they would speak to my consultant to see if he could suggest any eye drops that may help. I said I had started to use systane and they were ok with that if I felt it was helping.

With my right lens it is getting quite annoying now as once the problem starts it is not long before the vision goes really bad and then shortly afterwards I end up taking the lens out and am then down to one eye. Worse still if the left eye is having an off day I am down to no lenses.

Have you had anymore advice from your hospital/clinic ?

Susan

Return to “General Discussion Forum”