PUS/CONTACT LENSES

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Ian Crutchley
Contributor
Contributor

PUS/CONTACT LENSES

Postby Ian Crutchley » Thu 24 Feb 2005 5:19 pm

Hi I need some guidance. I'm currently wearing piggy back lenses & I'm having problems with my right ones. Every night around 8.30pm you can guarantee in my right eye I get pus appearing & of course it blocks my vision. I have asked my consultant who isn't 100% sure why it appears. I'm wondering if any one also has this problem or whether anyone can give me tell me why or how I can stop it appearing. The strange thing is it only appears in my right lenses, my left ones I have no problems. So please help.
It can get annoying as it keeps appearing even after you have taken it out.
Yours Ian Crutchley

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Thu 24 Feb 2005 5:47 pm

Thats very worrying!

Have you any styes? I would check your lower and upper lids.......during the day does your eye get sore?.....reason why i ask is that if you have a stye then more than likely the lens would experience some kind of irregular movement when you blink and this would affect the cornea itself (depending in the level of KC you have)

Ian Crutchley
Contributor
Contributor

PUS/CONTACT LENSES

Postby Ian Crutchley » Thu 24 Feb 2005 8:37 pm

To JayUK, to answer your question both eyes are clear. I don't have any styes. When I last saw the consultant he checked for that & has given some Celluvisc drops but they haven't done anything. I'm due to report back to my consultant on 3/3/05. Ironically through out the day there's no problem whatsoever it just appears a night, like it is now as I write this responce. Thanks

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Fri 25 Feb 2005 11:42 am

DO you think it is actualy puss or just a by product of the eye?....sounds odd for it to be puss if you have no pain, and no irregularities

Ian Crutchley
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ian Crutchley » Fri 25 Feb 2005 1:06 pm

I believe it is pus, it's how the dictionary defines it as a yellowish matter. There's no pain or discomfort, just annoyance on my part as it blocks my vision. I can remove the pus with my fingers but a new lot will materialise very quickly, I just don't know why & how to stop it plus why is it at night & only in my right eye. Someone has suggested my tear duck may be faulty or not working, not sure if that's correct or not :?

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Fri 25 Feb 2005 2:01 pm

Yeh thats a possibility

I had a Mehobian* Cyst few months back and had somthing similar...hence why I asked about the cyst.....mine was really small and i didnt even know I had it until I was told........maybe good to get the lower and upper lids checked out...

Also may also be an idea to premptive somethng and just apply warm compression to the lower lids for 15 mins every nite.....i do that all the time now...but just a thought......

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Sat 26 Feb 2005 10:52 pm

Hello

I too get sticky bit in my eyes. They are sometimes collect under my lenses or in the cormers of my eyes and if I wipe them away with my finger or some cotton wool they usually become stringy and elasticy and I end up with them all over my lenses.

I usually find if I take my scleral out and rinse them in saline and sometimes also rinse my eyes with saline eye drops or similar I can then put my lenses back in and may be ok for a while, however, sometimes whan it gets to this stage it is easier to just take the lenses out as the sticky bits usually come back and I end up rinsing and cleaning again.

I seem to recall reading in a previous post that this is not uncommon and maybe made worse by dirty lenses or if certain solutions don't agree with us.

Let us know how you get on. Have you spoken to your optomertrist about it?

Susan

Ian Crutchley
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ian Crutchley » Tue 01 Mar 2005 12:58 pm

To Susan
What a relief to read your post because what you decribed is exactly what happens to me. As you say on removal it gets sticky & gooey. The drops (mentioned in prev post) I'm currently using have no affect on it at all. I too get pus in the corner of my eye as well as building up within the lenses. I wash & soak them every night plus use saline but to no avail. I have got to call my consultant on 3/3/05 & I'll see what he suggests next.
Please keep me updated about yourself, hopefully we can help each other.
Ian :)

sandi sydenham
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sandi sydenham » Tue 01 Mar 2005 5:07 pm

Hello Ian
My daughter sometimes has this problem (has also had cysts removed in the past). She bathes her eyes with a solution of cammomile tea (we were told about this from a doctor years ago as she cant have antibiotic s) cant do any harm and it might help you too.
All you do is put 1 teabag in a cup or small mug and pour boiling water over it allow it to cool. Get 2 egg cups and pour half "tea" in each(one for each eye) . Take some cotton wool (make sure you keep a different piece for each eye) and soak it with the tea .Gently bathe your eye and if u like leave a soaked pad covering your eye for a while. .

Good luck
Sandi
sandi

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Wed 02 Mar 2005 2:02 pm

Hi Ian

Keep me updated and when I next visit the hospital I will see if they have any ideas.

Susan

Return to “General Discussion Forum”