Finally dutch light in the tunnel after UV crosslinking...

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Brinky
Contributor
Contributor

Finally dutch light in the tunnel after UV crosslinking...

Postby Brinky » Thu 08 Nov 2007 3:37 pm

Hello,

You might remember me in previous posts on my experience with UV Crosslinking.
I'm from The Netherlands and had UV crosslinking carried out in one eye on 23rd of August 2007 in Brussels.
My recovery period was unusual long (almost 2 months), with epitheleum which did not heal very well.
Full recovery could take up to 6 months they said.

And guess what, I went to the eye docter this morning for a check up on the eye which I
did each 2 weeks lately and my eye is recovered! Don't know if that is full recovery already but it's a major improvement.
Epitheleum is fine but what is amazing is that with my affected eye I can even read some letters of the 100% line
:D with a normal soft contact lens :D or normal glasses, while this was 60-70% 1 month ago!
Champaign will be opened tonight, you bet! I've ordered my soft lenses today. Maybe it's too early to cheer,
but I could really read some letters of the 100% line while the doctor was holding the different lenses in front of my eye.
So hopefully from Tuesday when I have my new lenses I can see normal again with this eye.....
So no more scleral lens or rigid ones or piggy-bags! Hopefully the crosslinking will do its work and keep it stable!!

Must say that I maybe had a quite mild version of keratoconus as it was only discovered 10 months ago while I was at the age of 27.
But since it was discovered I went through a whole cycle of irritations: rigid lenses (not working), piggy-bag (not working either),
scleral (better but still) etc etc...and all the difficulties of the recovery period after surgery.

Just to let you know about my positive feelings after quite a long period of uncertainties and eye problems.
There is light in the tunnel!

Regards,

Ronald

dplees
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Finally dutch light in the tunnel after UV crosslinking...

Postby dplees » Thu 08 Nov 2007 6:47 pm

Did your doctor predict what your vision would be like before you had the c3-r?
I am just wondering if this is a standard vision improvement or if you just got lucky.

Thanks

Brinky
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Brinky » Thu 08 Nov 2007 8:16 pm

They predicted and had good hope that I could see reasonably well with glasses and soft contcact lenses after the crosslinking. They came already close to 90% with glasses, and it was 60-70% with soft contact lenses before I had the crosslinking. So the vision improvement is in line with the expectations. But maybe I'm just a little bit lucky too....

timmytim7
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby timmytim7 » Thu 08 Nov 2007 8:25 pm

thats great news.

did you go to a private clinic? you've had both eyes done now right?

i so hope i can see with glasses or soft lenses after i get done.

tim

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 10 Nov 2007 12:34 pm

Well done Ronald. You are an excellent ambassador for this treatment!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”