Hi new to here

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

chris_3
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Hi new to here

Postby chris_3 » Mon 29 Oct 2007 10:59 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and got diagnosed with very mild keratoconus in August. I would like a few questions about this condition if possible.

First of all, my eyes are very light sensitive (those headlights really affect me when driving) and have been for a long time, recently only found out this is a symptom of keratoconus, i have corneal scars the source is still as yet unknown, I am shortsighted with astigmatism and have been wearing glasses since i was three.

now for my questions i hope you can help me.

First off a few nights ago the lower half of my eyes went suddenly very cloudy for no apparent reason, is this a sign of the keratoconus getting worse, or is it me getting paranoid? This has only happened once.

Secondly the light sensitivity, is there a way of reducing it? because at night I sometimes have to drive and those headlights really do affect me

Thirdly does keratoconus make some people feel tired all the time or could this be something else?

the only symptoms i have at the minute (after looking at various websites and finding out what it is) are light sensitivity starlike appearances around light bulbs with my glasses on and with them off a rainbow effect around lightbulbs

Thanks in advance for any questions answered

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Re: Hi new to here

Postby Karl R » Tue 30 Oct 2007 6:29 am

Hi Chris and welcome.

chris_3 wrote:First off a few nights ago the lower half of my eyes went suddenly very cloudy for no apparent reason, is this a sign of the keratoconus getting worse, or is it me getting paranoid? This has only happened once.

I've not heard of KC causing cloudiness, but that is not to say it can't. There will be someone along soon who can answer this question in more detail

Secondly the light sensitivity, is there a way of reducing it? because at night I sometimes have to drive and those headlights really do affect me

Light sensitivity can be reduced during the day by wearing dark glasses, preferably with wrap around sides. These are available as prescription glasses. For night driving you could try an anti-glare coating on your lenses, however if headlights are severely affecting you I would suggest for your safety, and that of other road users, to stop night time driving completely.

Thirdly does keratoconus make some people feel tired all the time or could this be something else?

Yes I felt constantly tired prior to my op, this was probably caused by the overworking of my left eye trying to compensate for the poor vision in my right eye.

the only symptoms i have at the minute (after looking at various websites and finding out what it is) are light sensitivity starlike appearances around light bulbs with my glasses on and with them off a rainbow effect around lightbulbs

Light sensitivity, starbursts and halos are classic symptoms of KC
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

chris_3

Postby chris_3 » Tue 30 Oct 2007 9:30 am

thanks for the reply, this has helped me a lot i must have had this from an earlyish age then because i always have had the starbursts to a certain extent since an earlyish age.

Night driving is quite difficult to avoid unfortunately, I have 3 kids and have totake them to my parents to see their dad a lot. As it is at the minute im on top discount for prescriptions and i think to add the anti glare t woud be a little over my limit.

thanks for answering my question about the cloudiness, I have an appointment with my dr tomorrow as in order for meto be able to see an opthalmologist i have to be re-referred by him

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Tue 30 Oct 2007 10:09 am

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the site.

Although you only found out about your KC in August, you may find that you're already a candidate for contact lenses.

I perservered in glasses for a long time because at first I really really could not get on with contact lenses (still not great with them!) and the vision improvment from lenses wasnt great enough, but then my vision deteriated slightly and lenses were the only choice.

However, I found after I had moved to them, things such as driving at night became easier. RGP (Rigid Gas Permeable) lenses have the effect of shaping the cornea back into a more usual shape, reducing the effects of the KC. From what I understand, this also helps with the eyes ability to control the senstivity to light as its not bouncing around so much.

Its not an instant cure though as I always make sure I have my shades with me everywhere I go (annoyingly my nice ones have a scratch, must ask for some new ones for Chrimbo!), but the move definitely helped me.

I too have what I would consider mild KC (especially compared to some here) but the lenses really did help.

Hope this helps and good luck tomorrow.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 30 Oct 2007 10:14 am

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum. I think I have nothing to add to the responses above, but I do want to encourage you to keep coming here with questions, and with experiences that will certainly chime with others.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 30 Oct 2007 6:47 pm

Chris

Depending on your glasses prescription you may be able to get anti glare coating free of charge. To get glasses to sit straight rather than a jaunty angle I have to go for the plastic lenses and I recylce my frames so the pair I got today which are OK for the left, but rubsih for the right come with the coating included. I did part with £250 just to have something to use for when I want a brake from lenses.

Although lenses may become inevitable, be guided by your optom and the level of vision you get. There are far more than RGP's out there, there are some good soft lenses too and the ones I have been trying match my RGP's for performance.

Still waiting the OK from the lens manufacturer to let me divulge more info!
Gareth

chris_3

Postby chris_3 » Wed 31 Oct 2007 11:19 am

Hi and thanks for your replies.

Although you only found out about your KC in August, you may find that you're already a candidate for contact lenses.

One prob I'm phobic about anything going near my eyes they seem so sensitive (have been for as long as i can remember) i cant even put eyedrops in on my own also would they be able to make contacts in prescription i apparently have severe astigmatism as well as the short sightedness AND keratoconus

Depending on your glasses prescription you may be able to get anti glare coating free of charge.

Will ask next time i go for an eye test thanks, though i did ask about reactions lenses and they said that becase my prescription is very strong the lenses would be very thick with them :oops: i aquired a pair of prescription sunglasses as specsavers were doing "buy one get one free" in may but misplaced them oops!

*Edit* At the doctor's today he said that my optician would monitor my keratoconus as i was discharged from eye hospital so my condition is nowhere near severe at the moment, is this normal?

One more question if i may but does smoking affect Keratoconus in any way??? I've read about diet on here but not much about smoking

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 31 Oct 2007 12:43 pm

Chris,

Yes contact lenses will comensate for KC which is basiclly regular astigmatism and irregular astigmatism. Mr Dart from Moorfileds reffered to the cornea looking like a saggy boob with the texture of a crinckle chip! For me onje eye is longsighted and the other is short sighted and with lenses I get 6/5 in each eye.

Different health acre trusts operate different systems, in my area everything is monitored through the hospital. I know in others where hospitals don't have contact lens cenres contarct out the monitoring and lens fitting to the community. Recently I heard of a few that do half and half, the more minor cases of KC are trated in the community, where as the sever ones are treated within the hospital.

Problem with classification of KC is that it is based on cornea thickness and steepnes of the cone. Mine according to my hospital is severe, yet I have learnt to adapt to even when leagallly blind without lenses I can function normally and do all but drive with no problem. There are others where the effects are differnet and minor KC destroys there lives, so many on this forum will say teh severety of KC should really take in to account how it affects your life on a daily basis.

Using lenses and eye drops comes with practice. I have a phobia about things in my eyes but overcame this as it is the only way I can see and persue my motor sport hobby. End result been living and coping well with KC for 20 years now.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”