A THANKS, AN UPDATE, AND QUESTIONS !!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

A THANKS, AN UPDATE, AND QUESTIONS !!

Postby nicola jayne » Thu 25 Oct 2007 11:14 am

Hi all,
firstly I would like to thank Gareth for all your help with regards to my job and going back in the lab WHOO HOO and yay it worked I am now back !!! I am sorry I have not thanked you sooner my internet was off for a couple of months and has only been back on a couple of weeks.

eye update.
well I had half of my stitches out on monday and the other half yesterday, wow not very nice it was a continuous stitch but he broke it up into bits and took it out that way. as I have tourettes syndrome I cant stay still very long hence the 2 sittings as I told him asking me to keep still is like asking anyone else not to blink !! I just can't do it but even if I do say do myself I was brave LOL and as still as I can be :shock: :D .
anyway the eye feels so different without the stitches and its been a hell of a long year but yay there is light at the end of the tunnel (WILL BE HAVING THE OTHERE EYE DONE BEFORE XMAS SO HERE WE GO AGAIN LOL )

he said that I will need more surgery as I cant see at all well through the grafted eye
what type of surgery will this be ?

also I woke up this morning and the eye feels great but the vision out of the eye is all cloudy is that just the eye trying to settle down ? or should I be worried and contact clinic ?

well thanks for reading and hopefully replying !!
hope you and yours are all very well
I am glad to be back on the forums
kind regards
nicola

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: A THANKS, AN UPDATE, AND QUESTIONS !!

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 25 Oct 2007 4:50 pm

Welcome back Nicola, and congratulations on getting back to work!
Re your cloudy vision, the standard advice on this forum is better safe than sorry! A call or visit to the clinic will hopefully set your mind at rest. It could just be your eye settling down after a hard time, but only the hospital can tell you for sure. So get in touch with them.
Re further surgery, sometimes there is still a lot of astigmatism after a graft which can be corrected with refractive surgery (what are sometimes called 'nicks') or occasionally with laser. But there may well be other techniques these days, so you really need to ask your hospital that question!
All the best, and I hope things continue to improve for you.
Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 27 Oct 2007 11:59 am

Well done Nicola. Anne is right; sometimes the astigmatism takes a very long time to settle, due to the asymmetric healing of the eye. In the end, if the astigmatism is very steep, there can be other options; so ask your ophthalmologist.

Meantime, it is good to know that another of us has emerged from the affray and returned to work.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Sun 28 Oct 2007 4:37 pm

Nicola,

Really pleased things worked, it has also resulted in some good practice changes at my place of work too!

Astigmatism can remain and in my right eye it is very high and until recently was only correctable with RGP lenses. Now it can be done with soft lenses I would love to say more, but until the lens manufacturere gives me the go ahead my lips are sealed despite the lens being launched yesterday and three hospitals are very keen to do there own trial using these new lenses.
Gareth

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Tue 06 Nov 2007 6:29 pm

thank you all for your kind words and support !! during this last year and no doubt the next year lol. :D
Gareth I am glad that your work has improved for you aswell !!.
on another note I can't tolerate contact lenses at all so is refractive surgery the only way ? I have always worn glasses throughout this, I did try with contacts for over a year but just could not get on with any of them !!. since stitches coming out i am back to using ''the good eye'' as I am not going to bother to get a new script and glasses until the next graft or when the grafted eye settles. as vision has gone to pot as i was warned .... no driving again .. but hubby well on his way to passing his driving test lol :lol:
anyhoo
hope all are well
nicola
x0x0

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Tue 06 Nov 2007 6:36 pm

Nicola,

Really glad to hear that things have gone so well with you! Great news!!

After my graft my vision took ages to get better. I did have a DALK though which does take longer and I had a lot of wrinkles which needed to settle down. It is two years next August, I am stitch free and things are getting better! I really hope that is the same for you!

It is always best to get things checked out, so if you are worried at all I would contact your hospital just to make sure. Take it easy and great to hear that you are back in work! :lol:
Sweet X x X

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 06 Nov 2007 6:59 pm

Nicola,

Have you tried a soft lens for KC?

I never got on with the original Kerasoft, but since trying the new ones in Silicon Hydrogel they are extremely comfortable to the point while building the wear time I forgot I had them in! Only gone 11 hours because as my cornea has settled coming out of RGP's they need a slight tweek so should be able to get even more hours of wear. The performance of these lenses is for me on a par with my RGP's with a definite 6/6 in both eyes.

Have a look at Lynn Whites post declaring her interest with Ultravision.
Gareth

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Tue 06 Nov 2007 9:30 pm

Nicola

What lenses have you tried when you say you couldn't get on "with any of them?"
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Wed 07 Nov 2007 3:34 pm

ok well to be fair I tried rgp's (i errm think ... they felt like bricks) for a year and that was it !! the hospital were rubbish, so 3 years later when i couldnt see anymore I went to the opt's and she wrote the hospital a stinking letter, telling them i couldnt see and had been left with no support or help ( shes rocks by the way) and that they needed to do something. That was early last year and had my graft last november and am awaiting the other one before xmas.
my consultant said that i gave them a good go and that we are not meant to have bits of plastic in our eyes and that was that...... it does not help tho with my tourettes I have eye tics where i have to scrunch them up all the time.......
nic
8)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”