Eyelid Stays Open While I Sleep

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sidus
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Eyelid Stays Open While I Sleep

Postby Sidus » Thu 18 Oct 2007 8:36 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to these forums. I've done a quick search and couldn't find anything on this.

My right eye is steeper then my left and is the one I'm having problems with. For the last week I've been noticing that my right eye has been very sore / raw feeling. Everytime the steep part rubs over my bottom eye lid it hurts like I'm being poked with a needle. My eyeslids are very tight which may add to the pain and problem. I think I finally figured out why it hurts. Today when I woke up my eye wasn't closed all the way. It was slightly open and very dried out. So I think thats whats causing all my recient pains.

Has anyone else experienced this? I assume its because of the petruding KC ( I have Munson's sign). If so what have you done to eleviate the problem? I was just thinking of using surgical tape :)

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Re: Eyelid Stays Open While I Sleep

Postby donna » Fri 19 Oct 2007 2:24 pm

My mum has this problem, not because of KC she has other problems. She sleeps with something called Gelliperm over her eyes and uses lots of lubricting eye drops.
Things got bad a year or so ago and she had ulcers forming on her cornea so go and see your gp asap.

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Fri 19 Oct 2007 8:50 pm

Hi there!

I don't have this problem but would suggest using a lot of lubricating eye drops which should help with your eye not drying out.

Hoping that you can solve this problem soon.
Sweet X x X

Sidus

Postby Sidus » Sat 20 Oct 2007 2:37 am

Great suggestion. I googled it and it looks promissing.

I use this really thick gell lubracating eye drops before I sleep which has helped a bit. I also tried just using some cotton / tape to keep pressure on the lid to keep it shut, but It wasn't as helpfull as I had hoped. I'll see if we have something like that around here. I'm going ot schedule an appt with my opthamologist next week (I have strep throat right now so can't do it yet :P ) But I wanted to have something to bring to him and this is great.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 25 Oct 2007 9:44 am

Sidus

Welcome to the forum.

My own approach to this is to wear a clear plastic eyeshield, with a pad of gauze against my eyelid. This holds the eyelid sjut at night and prevents my eye from becoming too dry at night.

I have to wear a mask at night to deliver air (I also have a condition called "apnoea" which in some jurisdictions is called "apnea".) I would tend to have very dry eyes if I slept with an eyelid slightly open!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”