PC Screen Settings

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

PC Screen Settings

Postby Paul Morgan » Thu 11 Oct 2007 12:22 pm

I work at a PC screen pretty much all day.

I take regualr breaks but still find my eyes get very tired.

I'm told that changing the colour configuration of the screen can make things easier...does anyone have any recommendations? Can anyone help?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: PC Screen Settings

Postby GarethB » Thu 11 Oct 2007 12:41 pm

Paul

On my flat screen monitors HP and Dell, I change the colours on the monitor itself. On my monitors, the menu item is Colour; Custom Colour and I set the Red / Green / Blue so they were comfortable.

The contrast and brightness are set low too.

Always have a glass of water by my desk as good hydration helps stop things drying out, as far away as air con as I can get and sit by a window as I find natural light takes away the harshness of flourescent lights.

I am never at my pc for more than 30 minutes before taking a break which can even be a quick walk round the office which is all of 30 seconds and that is eough to rest my eyes.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 12 Oct 2007 6:26 am

If you are lucky enough to have a Mac it is easy to change the colours both at the computer and at the screen. I am afraid that the world of the PC is a mystery to me! :oops:

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

rkhan19
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rkhan19 » Tue 16 Oct 2007 7:16 pm

The LCD screen reduces galre compared to the old CRT TV's. I remember around five years ago I bought a glass screen eeerr thingy :? which you attaches on top of your screen and it is supposed to reduce glare. Im not sure if they still sell it now.

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Pat A » Tue 16 Oct 2007 8:20 pm

Hi Paul
I have recently had an "assisted technology" assessment carried out by Action for Blind people and they took me through a whole range of colour schemes until I found out what suited me best. I have also now got a CCTV machine at work which enables colour changes too.

As well as the suggestions already given, you can/should be able to change the "windows" theme on your PC - go through control panel , display (or appearance and themes if you have XP) and then look at the different themes available. Some are much more pleasing on the eye than others!

If you are still not sure how to do it let me know!

Hope that helps.
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Tue 16 Oct 2007 8:25 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm an application developer so I spend my whole life sat in front of monitors. I've used all kinds of different types, large, small, hi-res, lo-res etc and honestly the best setup is what works best for you and feels best.

I tend to set my monitor to the highest resolution as I find on LCD monitors it eliminates blurryness as as for colours I tend to either use the standard or warm settings.

If you are reguarly using your computer to view pictures Be careful with colour and brightness settings as a badly set monitor can make a photo look way off the original. There are some good websites that help you set your monitor up best for photo viewing.

As for exercising the eyes I agree with Gareth, plenty of breaks and lots of blinking. Also very important is to ensure you vary your focus as much as possible to keep your eye muscles active. Look out the window for a minute, across the office, at the ceiling etc.

Like Gareth I also keep water handy and earlier in the year while I was having probs with dry eyes I bought a cheap hygrometer off of ebay to measure how humid my office was. If it gets too dry I know to act accordingly.

With regards to the strip lights above your desk they are all supposed to meet euro standards these days to prevent eye strain but I hate the buggers! See if you can undo/switch yours off independently -your eyes will thank you! (replace with an uplighter, much calmer)

Phew that was a long one. Good luck!

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Pat A » Tue 16 Oct 2007 11:04 pm

Eddie
Your new strapline signature ...or whatever it's called...made me howl with laughter!

Glad to hear that there are some kind people left on the streets...presumably you offered whoever left you the note a jelly baby........? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Wed 17 Oct 2007 8:18 am

Hi Pat,

Hehe, it's actually a quote from Tommy Cooper. Some other of his funnies for your day..

I slept like a log last night - woke up in the fireplace

I went to the doctor yesterday - I said to him "Doctor, I've broken my arm in several places" - He said "Well dont go there again!"

So I was getting into my car, and this bloke says to me "Can you give me a lift?" I said "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go for it."

A woman tells her doctor, 'I've got a bad back.' The doctor says, 'It's old age.' The woman says, 'I want a second opinion.' The doctor says: 'Okay - you're ugly as well.'

And for Paul, something to add, if you spend a lot of time in front of a monitor, rather than going for one large monitor push for two monitors. Windows handles it very well (seemless) and adding a second monitor is just a case of making sure you have the right video card (or add a second) inside your PC. Apart from the cost of the additional monitor the upgrade isnt expensive.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Neil H
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Neil H » Wed 17 Oct 2007 5:30 pm

What size monitor would people suggest i have at work?

Work monitor: 15" TFT Can't stand it
Home monitor: 19" CRT Like it alot

I use a computer about 5-6 hours a day at work which can be a pain for me some of the time. I sit right next to teh only radiator in the room aswell which is really bad. I think a glass of water on my desk would be a good thing. How much does this help though?

Also. At work we use a program with a small font, in which it's hard for me to tell rn from m. in fact even on here it's not that easy either. It causes me no end of problems and can lead to typos, and in the industry i work in this isn't good at all. We produce certificates that go around the world and so any mistake is bad no matter how small. There are alot of numbers on them which it's easy to get wrong if i'm havoing a bad eyesight day. i'm not sure i can get the font changed, but i can get a larger monitor. The question is how large?

Neil

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Wed 17 Oct 2007 5:41 pm

Neil

Monitor size is dependent on the type of work and your needs.

19 flat screen is OK for me. There are a couple of systems where my pc looks at a different server on which to run a program I use the magnification software built in windows. There are many other types available as a free download.

Give them a go and see what works best.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”