Once again..

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

DTee

Once again..

Postby DTee » Sun 07 Oct 2007 3:17 pm

Hi Guys,

As always for a bit of solid adivce, I see msyelf turning to all of you! I have recently been given a new set of hard contact lenses. I had lost the previous set after wearing them for a very short period of time. My right eye is worse then the left. Today is my third day of wearing them but in my left eye I am getting a slight burning sensation. I am wondering why this is, is it because some of the cleaning solution may still be left on the contact? or something completely different. It is not bad enough to be uncomfortable, yet.

Any thoughts?

(This time I have been using the 3 solution. The saline, cleaner and conditioner)

Thank you for any help you are able to provide.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Once again..

Postby GarethB » Sun 07 Oct 2007 3:41 pm

Hi Dtee

Residual cleaner on the lens can cause a burning sensation. The conditioning solution is supposed to netralise this though.

I find once I've cleaned the lens, rinsing in saline before putting the lenses in the conditioning solution works best and rarely do I get irritation when the lenses go in. On the odd ocasion this continues to happen, I give the lens a thorough rinse with saline before putting the lens in. I also use lubricating eye drops which helps stem any irritation quite quickly.

The other posibility is a small pice of fluff or fibre from a tissue/towel under the lens. I had this yesterday when trying some experimental lenses, the optom spotted the problem undert he slit lamp, took the lens out and gave it a quick rinse and all was fine.

The final posibility is that you could be sensitive to the solutions you use, I can only tolerate one type of solution, others I know can only tolerate preservative free solutions.

However if the first two fail to bring any comfort, call the optom and explain the problems your having and then it might be appropriate to discuss the solutions side of things because it could also be a lens fit issue you have.

Hope this helps.

Gareth
Gareth

DTee

Postby DTee » Sun 07 Oct 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks for the detailed reponse, Gareth.

You have been extremely helpful, as always. I gave the contacts another cleanand the irriation seems to have stopped. (I was just about ask you) As you mentioned is it ok to put lubricating drops whilst I have my contacts in? and which drops would you reccommend?

Thank you

DTee

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 07 Oct 2007 4:25 pm

DTee

I agree with everything that Gareth says, but there is another potential cause of an eye with a contact lens in feeling hot.

I used to get exactly this feeling when my eye was not getting sufficient oxygen. I never really knew how to describe the feeling to my optometrist so, after I had done everything to make sure that my eye was clean and free of dust, fluff and grit and if my eye still felt 'hot' that is exactly what I told the optom. She recognized immediately that this could be oxygen starvation, asked me to attend her clinic WITHOUT my lens. She made sure that the lens was scrupulously clean and that my eye was clear of anything that could cause pain. She then inserted my lens and sent me off for a cup of tea. When I went back half an hour later my eye felt 'hot' and had become red and slightly puffy.

Oxygen starvation. No more kerasoft for me!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

DTee

Postby DTee » Sun 07 Oct 2007 4:30 pm

Hi Andrew,

On my second day of wear after around 4 hours, I had the "hot" feeling. My eyes were very dry and now that you mention it I have connected the dots and think you are correct! Could this be because I am not using any lubricant drops? and the eye is too dry also?

Thank you

DTee

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Sun 07 Oct 2007 4:35 pm

Hi DTee,

In addition to what Gareth said..

The final posibility is that you could be sensitive to the solutions you use, I can only tolerate one type of solution, others I know can only tolerate preservative free solutions.

..and your own thoughts i've found the solutions have a lot to do with how well I can tolerate a particular lens. You optometrist probably has access to a lot of different solutions and so could try on you on something else first before giving up on the particular lens type.

If it helps I also find rinsing the lenses in saline solution (I find the Bausch and Lomb Sensitive Eyes one very good) before placing them in your eyes in the morning just to get rid of any residual cleaner/soaking solution a good step.

I've also become intolerant to particular solutions - I was getting along fine with one brand of solution up until Christmas and then bang, my eyes started complaining about dryness. Swapping (as a last resort) to a new brand but with similar contents (hydrogen peroxide) sorted the problem.

First of all though, take the advice of your professional. Any soreness/pain is best checked out somebody who can physically check your eyes. As Gareth says it could be your solutions but equally the fit. I've been told before that the lenses fit fantastically but feel like lumps of coal to me!

Good luck

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 07 Oct 2007 4:36 pm

I think a little visit to your optometrist is indicated. It may just be that you have become intollerant of this sort of lens; only an eye-care professional will be able to tell.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

DTee

Postby DTee » Sun 07 Oct 2007 4:39 pm

THank you for your comments guys, Now i just have to wait the 4 months until the next appointment! :) Ah well what can you do!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 07 Oct 2007 4:55 pm

Why wait? Phone them. Tell them you are having a bit of bother. Ask for an early appointment.

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Sun 07 Oct 2007 5:21 pm

Yep, i'm with Andrew on that. Go make a newskance of yourself! In my opinion, the 3-4 month appointments are just there to make sure things dont go unnoticed and everytime I've had a problem with my eyes I've also found that I've been fitted in just to make sure everything is ok.
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Return to “General Discussion Forum”