Conjunctivitus

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Conjunctivitus

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 04 Oct 2007 9:18 am

:D

Actually, all joking aside, I also have an allergy to chloramphenicol ointment, so I use eye drops that are dispensed in Minims. I think that the allergy is to the preservatives rather than the chloramphenicol.

(Gareth is, of course, right about exchanging medicine. When I was working in Aberdeen we had no Pharmacy in our area, so we offered a service to the older and less mobile people who lived nearby. They would come to our coffee lounge and hand over their prescriptions. Somebody would drive to the pharmacy with all these scripts and have each of them filled, returning to the coffee lounge social gathering with a basket full of pills and potions. The really scary thing was when the old ladies started exchanging stories about their various ailments and recognizing similarities.
Aberdeen Oldies wrote:"I had the very same thing, myself. My Doctor gave me these pills, they were marvellous. Cleared my up in no time. Take these and try them."

I would tell them not to do it, but I am pretty sure that whenever they were out of the coffee lounge they would go back to swapping pills.)

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Thu 04 Oct 2007 9:28 am

Andrew, I had a coversation about the cloremphenicol (i think i change the spelling of that everytime i write it :lol: ) I can use the drops with or without presevatives no problem but the ointment makes my eyes itch like mad. He was saying that is probaly to do with the ointment base i think this is correct that some are lanolin based wich is from wool. would would make total sense as i would never buy anything made from wool for myself or any other family member because it would make me itch.
Anyway he told me to try a steriod ointment and see how i got on, so i put it in and my eyes itched like mad.

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Louise Pembroke » Thu 04 Oct 2007 12:13 pm

Lanoline is a common irritant. Currently I appear to be allergic to practically all creams. I have contact dermititis and it's driving me mad. At one point I picked up the hair brush to scratch with, then stopped myself when I picked up the scissors, I could tear my skin off right now. E45 including 'itch relief' I react too, calamine set me on fire, antihistamine cream likewise. So now I'm using hydrocortisone and aqueous cream in between cold compresses and sitting on my hands
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Anne B
Champion
Champion

Postby Anne B » Thu 04 Oct 2007 5:40 pm

I feel for you, my eczema was really bad a few weeks ago and everything i normally used made it worse. In the end it got infected so i went to the doctors and they gave me fucibet cream for the infected bits and a cream called double base for moisturising. the double base stuff is really good may be worth a try if you havn't already.
We still laugh about the time i layed in bed and i asked hubby to pass my double base :lol: he replied "i didn't know you played" :lol: I'm still laughing now.

Hope things improve soon.

Sending you a big tin of Quality Street and big victoria sandwich.

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Thu 04 Oct 2007 5:55 pm

Thanks Anne *munch munch* I'm so scared it will affect my face.

Anne B
Champion
Champion

Postby Anne B » Thu 04 Oct 2007 6:18 pm

Oh i hope it doesn't. when i get a eczema flare up my eyes get worse as in they are more red and scabby than normal :roll: But i get really sore dry patches in the corner of my mouth and just under my bottom lip, really attractive "can you pass me a strawberry cream". You need to moisturise then moisturise and then a bit more moisturiser.
Do you use anything in the shower/bath?

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Thu 04 Oct 2007 9:14 pm

I'm avoiding water at the moment but certainly not using anything when I do near the affected area. I'm using copious amounts of aqueous cream and willing it to go away

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Sat 06 Oct 2007 9:13 am

Hi Anne & Louise
Sorry have missed all this thread earlier as have been away with no access to the www! Hope you are both a bit better!

I suffer from an almost permanent skin complaint too and get fed up slapping the steriod creams on - and I seem to react to loads of other creams too. But Doublebase is brilliant for me too - you can use it whenever or as much you want and in addition to anything else . You can buy it (it comes in a "pump" dispenser or a tube) but if you can get your doc to prescribe the pump one it will be cheaper to get it on prescription. It's good for putting on before you shower or bath as it acts as a kind of protection layer and stops your skin drying out. Really worth a try Lou.

Feel for you both - have a Devon Cream tea on me :lol: :lol:
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”