3 Questions for you guys please.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Tigger
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

3 Questions for you guys please.

Postby Tigger » Thu 27 Sep 2007 11:21 am

I have 2 questions for you guys please.

1. What conditions constitute mild, moderate, or severe keratoconus?

2 Do you guys have a severe NEED to rub your eyes after you remove your lenses?

I was told by my opthamologist that whatever I do, i am not supposed to rub my eyes after removing the RGP's. To me, that is like someone handing me 6 liters of water to drink, then waiting a few hours and telling me that I cannot pee. I HAVE to rub them.

3. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me with my need to rub my eyes after I remove the lenses?

My opthamologist suggested sitting a warm rag on my eyes after I remove my lenses, but that only made my eyes itch worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :mrgreen:

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: 3 Questions for you guys please.

Postby GarethB » Thu 27 Sep 2007 12:35 pm

Tigger,

First question is very subjective, there are people with mild/moderate who find life with KC really difficult because of lens issues where there are others withs evere KC can manage with lenses so have no problems at all. I for example ahve been told my KC is severe and the only thing I can not do without lenses is drive, I can manage everything else with minor life adaptations. So the question is more how does KC affect you?

Second question I experinced the exact same thing and for me that was down to dry eyes so as soon as my lenses are out, in go some refreshing lubricating eye drops and that is fine. From our Confrence this year it was explained why eye rubbing as bad, this is because keracytes are damaged and I think (no notes to hand) have something to do with keeping the cornea stron/fit and healthy. They do grow back but if you destroy them quicker than they recover then you are on a downward slope! Get to see your optom and explain the issues you have and they should be able to come up with something to help sort the itchy eyes.

Answer to 3, see the information to one and two :D
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: 3 Questions for you guys please.

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 27 Sep 2007 12:39 pm

Tigger wrote:I have 2 questions for you guys please.

1. What conditions constitute mild, moderate, or severe keratoconus?

2 Do you guys have a severe NEED to rub your eyes after you remove your lenses?

I was told by my opthamologist that whatever I do, i am not supposed to rub my eyes after removing the RGP's. To me, that is like someone handing me 6 liters of water to drink, then waiting a few hours and telling me that I cannot pee. I HAVE to rub them.

3. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me with my need to rub my eyes after I remove the lenses?

My opthamologist suggested sitting a warm rag on my eyes after I remove my lenses, but that only made my eyes itch worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :mrgreen:

1 I think that the stages of KC are classified according to these criteria:
Mild <45 D in both meridians
Moderate 45-52 D in both meridians
Advanced >52 D in both meridians
Severe >62 D in both meridians

2 Definition of bliss: the eye-rub immediately on removal of contact lenses. :oops:

3 I used artificial tears to flood my eyes immediately on removal of my lenses. These gave me the soothing effect without the rub.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”