eye shield

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

eye shield

Postby cherishu2 » Fri 21 Sep 2007 7:39 pm

took me ages to work out how to post. i had colour background and couldnt see the topic button.

where can i get eye shields or gud clear glasses. due op 190th oct and with lots of kids nee to protect the eye 24/7
mum to 7. Its a long story lol. cornea graft oct 19 2007.
Son with KC too
registerd blind 17th May 2007

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: eye shield

Postby martwoman » Sun 23 Sep 2007 10:38 am

Hi I had my graft back in July and was given an eye shield from the hospital to wear at night time and as i work with children and babies needed to were something to protect my eyes during the day i was advised bty my surgeon to were glasses or sunglasses especially when out this was to protect my eyes from things that could be flying around so that is what I do although i tend to wear a pair of lightly tinted glasses most of the time as i am light sensitve and were my dark sunglasses when the sun/light is really bright although i find i am not as light sensitive since having the graft. I also have a pair of shatterproff sunglasses with interchangable lenses for when i am supervising the kids playing sports Good luck with the op.
Take care
martwoman
P.S let us know how it goes
remember theres always hope upon the horizon although at times its hard to find but seek and you will find

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby james mckinlay » Mon 24 Sep 2007 8:23 pm

i have had 2 grafts and they are in the healed stage now i use prescription sunglasses and i always wear a baseball cap infact if i dont have my cap on people ask whats different with me lol.

but i would recomend some dark glasses but the hopsital will not give them out as they are now considered a luxury rather than a support aid. thats what i was told when i asked.

but one tip for you DO WHAT THEY SAY AFTER THE GRAFT AND TAKE IT EASY FOR A BIT.

because the difference you get with a graft is incredible 5 years down the line and ive started kickboxing and im half blind so dont let KC beat you please beat the KC its your life have some fun lol
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 27 Sep 2007 12:59 pm

James is a wise man and gives good advice. Take things easy when you get out of hospital!

The hospital will probably give you an eye shield when you leave (indeed you will probably leave wearing an eyeshield).

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby james mckinlay » Thu 27 Sep 2007 4:14 pm

THINGS MAY HAVE CHANGED SINCE I HAD MY GRAFTS DONE BUT WHEN I LEFT IT WAS AFTER AN OVERNIGHT STAY IN THE HOSPITAL ME AND MY REACTIONS TO MEDICATION LOL.

I LEFT WITH NO COVER OF THE EYE I DID HOWEVER HAVE TO WEAR THE PATCH AT NIGHT WHEN I WAS IN BED TO STOP ME RUBBING THW EYE AND DAMGING THE GRAFT OR SUTURES.

BUT I HOPE IT GOES WELL FOR YOU TAKE THINGS EASY AND DONT EXPECT MIRACLES OVERNIGHT BUT WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR GRAFT AND ITS A SUCCESS THEN THE VISION IT OFFERS IS WONDERFULL KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS AGAIN HOPE IT GOES WELL FOR YOU.

AND THANKS FOR THE NCIE WORDS ANDREW I JUST TRY AND INFORM OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION I HAVE AND FROM MY EXPERIENCE OF HAVING GRAFTS LIKE YOURSELF.

[quote][/quote]
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Michael P
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Michael P » Sun 30 Sep 2007 10:13 pm

Cherishu

I would be most surprised if the hospital doesn't give you an eyeshield.

I'm collecting them like confetti so I will send you one if they don't!
Please have a listen to my daughter, if you have a spare moment, on www.myspace.com/emmaparnes. She also wrote the songs.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”