blurryness of RGP's

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

chris irwin

blurryness of RGP's

Postby chris irwin » Sat 08 Sep 2007 5:45 pm

hi, i have recently got RGP's to test out but i have sort of blurry vision when i put the RGP's in. Its almost as if i can see the edge of it. Does this mean it isn't sitting on my eye properly?

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: blurryness of RGP's

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 08 Sep 2007 5:55 pm

Chris

Welcome to the forum

When do you go back to the Optometrist. How long are you wearing your lens each day?

I could always see the rim of my RGP's, but my vision was never 'blurry', except when my lenses needed cleaned or when I had built up a smear of tears by not blinking properly. :?

I'd just be a little concerned that your lens may be a little tight so that insufficient oxygen is getting to your eye. Can you go back on Monday?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Sat 08 Sep 2007 9:29 pm

Chris
if you mean that you only get the blurry bit where you see the edge of the lens - then this is exactly what I got when I wore RGP's on their own, and also now I am piggy backing, I can still see the edge of the RGP which is blurry. I was told "don't worry your brain will get used to seeing the edge of the lens - and then you won't see it".....well my brain must be sub-standard I guess because I still see it even after 5 months!!

If you are getting blurry vision generally then go back to your optom asap -to find out what is causing it.
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Tigger

Postby Tigger » Sat 08 Sep 2007 10:14 pm

i must be REALLY sub standard, after 14 years, i still notice the ridge line of the contact lens in my vision hehe.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 09 Sep 2007 8:09 am

Well, I never stopped seeing the edge of my RGP's, right up to the time when I stopped wearing them. When I had my first graft I could even see the sutures (they were blue).

Does this better-than-normal ability to see things that are so close to our eyes that theya re actually touching make us sub-normal?

No; this is the super-sense of keratoconics!

Where's my blue suit and red cape? :D

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

chris irwin

Postby chris irwin » Sun 09 Sep 2007 9:04 am

im going back on tuesday anyway, at the moment im only wearing them for about 4 hours at the moment. Its not so much blurry everywhere, just like i can see the edge of the lens and if i look at light in particular in some parts of the lens, not all and particularly the edge, it looks as if its like looking through water. If you guys can still see the edge after 14 years, maybe il just stick to soft lenses untill i HAVE to move onto RPG's. Seriously i don't think i can go on like this unless its the last alternative, it makes it difficult to read properly so i kind of defeats the point of the contact lens.

Il mention it to my doctor on tuesday and see what he says anyway. Thanks guys

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Pat A » Sun 09 Sep 2007 9:35 am

Chris - a thought occurred to me - RGP's do come in different diameter sizes - it might be worth asking to try a slightly larger lens when you go back on Tuesday. It did make a slight difference to how much of the edge of the lens I could see.
Let us know how you get on.
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

chris irwin

Postby chris irwin » Tue 11 Sep 2007 11:02 am

ok thanks i might try that

timtim
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby timtim » Tue 11 Sep 2007 12:34 pm

Chris-I too recently got RGP's, and I have had some of the same issues as you. I can see the edges when I am outside in fairly bright light (I am also extremely light sensitive).

I can also relate to what you said about it being like you are looking through water. Certain lights that I see out of the edge of my lenses really give this effect. As I've worn them for a few weeks, I've gotten used to some of it, but I am still seeing the watery effect.

I am getting much better vision overall with them though, so I figure it's best to just deal with some of the negatives, and hope that it only gets better.

Best of luck!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”