new RGP's-lights at night

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

timtim
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

new RGP's-lights at night

Postby timtim » Thu 06 Sep 2007 3:01 pm

I mentioned this in another topic, but I wanted to make its own topic so I can get some help pretty soon because I want to call my doctor in a couple hours and tell him about my issues...

I am seeing pretty well out of my lenses, but at night time (if I am driving, for example) any street lights or lights on buildings flare up pretty big. It makes it strange to concentrate because I see all of these big, bright lights all over my vision. They seem to stretch up or out pretty far from the light. Also, it is hard to look right at a strong light because it looks very bright and is piercing. Is this normal with RGP's?? Does it go away?

I am thinking it may be due to not getting enough oxygen to my cornea's, because I posted another topic about how my lenses have been cloudy, and some of you guessed that this was the problem. Would this be related to the oxygen thing?

I am looking to get a little info before I call my doc this afternoon, so thank you :) I have an appointment to see him on Monday

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Re: new RGP's-lights at night

Postby Karl R » Thu 06 Sep 2007 4:13 pm

If you are getting starburst/halos/glare from lights at night to the point where it is becoming difficult to see clearly or concentrate, I would strongly suggest that you give up night driving. This is for you own safety and that of others.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

timtim
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby timtim » Thu 06 Sep 2007 4:28 pm

I agree, I definitely will not drive at night if I feel it is at all unsafe. I did an enzymatic cleaning last night, and it helped the cloudiness that I was seeing in my lenses significantly, so I'm gonna step outside tonight and see if it helped the light situation at all. Since I am still being fitted, hopefully mentioning the problem will get me some better lenses that reduce this.

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Karl R » Thu 06 Sep 2007 4:37 pm

No harm in mentioning it.

With my KC I had to give up night driving for over 12 months and daytime driving for 6. Since my INTACS I am now back driving both during the day and at night
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

timtim
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby timtim » Thu 06 Sep 2007 4:39 pm

That's great to hear that you can drive again...glad the INTACS are working out for you

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Karl R » Thu 06 Sep 2007 5:55 pm

As I've said before.....

"Don't let KC run your life, let your life run KC"

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Thu 06 Sep 2007 9:55 pm

If your lenses are recently new it can take a little while for your eyes to settle down with them and for your brain to make the necessary adjustments, but rest assured that they will. the time to worry is if youre experiencing any sort of discomfort or pain with the lenses in which case you would get pretty much immediate attention. I n the meantime just be careful with night driving and if in doubt then refrain. hope all settles down soon.

Mike
onwards and upwards

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 07 Sep 2007 9:37 am

Tim

All the best with this; settling down to wearing lenses can be a great problem that some will never overcome. After all there is nothing 'natural' about your eye accepting a bit of plastic that floats about on your lear layer.

The amazing thing is that some people settle quickly to lenses, and that others still manage even after a shaky start. I hope things settle down for you, but if this does not happen quickly do not give up. Your optometrist has several different sorts of lens and different lens materials to try and then there are the other options that are listed in different places in the forum.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Tue 11 Sep 2007 9:44 pm

Hi Tim
I get the same effects as you from lights at night. I have not driven in the dark for weeks.
Tonight I took my lenses out for an hour or so, cleaned them until they were sparkling clean :D and put them back in, the lights look ok outside now, I think my problem, and my optom thinks the same, is the protein buildups I am getting on my lenses. It builds up quickly sometimes.
I think Gareth's tip about cleaning the inside of your windscreen is a good one, it does make a difference.
I am going to the cinema tomorrow and will be coming home around 8pm so it will be getting dark then, the plan is to clean the lenses before going out then again before driving home if needed. Otherwise the car will have to be left in the car park over night !

Ann Malby

Postby Ann Malby » Tue 18 Sep 2007 11:01 am

I have been getting the blurring for years - that was the first indication I had KC. I guess you just get used to it - I have problems if someone is driving towards me with their lights on main beam, but then everybody does. I checked with my optician, and he told me I am fine to drive (apparently I am fine to drive without my lenses which is extremely scary - I don't just meet the legal requirements, I exceed them, which means there are people out there with worse sight than me driving legally). I think like most people with KC I don't like driving somewhere I don't know when it is dark - but I recently got SatNav, and it is the best thing ever! You don't have to worry about seeing road signs too late to get into the right lane, it tells me when to move over and everything!

I'd just mention it to your optician, but unless you are being forced to close your eyes, and physically can't see anything other than the lights, you will probably be fine.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”