Kickboxing after having corneal grafts

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Kickboxing after having corneal grafts

Postby james mckinlay » Wed 05 Sep 2007 7:55 pm

Hello all it's been a fair bit since I posted last I have not been too well anyways hope you are all OK and hello to all new members.

For those that don't know me this will seem a bit insane but sine I am anyway it don't matter.

I hope you can help me on thins one I have recently decided to take up kickboxing it's just light semi contact and when I do come to sparring I must use all the protection I am going to buya full face guard so my eyes are covered and no blows to the face from it but is it actually okay to take part in martail arts after grafts.

If not then I will have to be extra careful then.

Hope you ave ideas or feedback

Take care

James
Last edited by Karl R on Thu 06 Sep 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed all caps letters -it is considered shouting
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Re: kICKBOXING AFTER HAVING CORNEAL GRAFTS

Postby mike scott » Wed 05 Sep 2007 11:32 pm

Hi James
Hope you are well

I'm sure that after having grafts you are well aware of all the dangers and the need for extreme care in looking after them.
Before undertaking this new "insane" :D hobby i would definately advise you to discuss every detail of it and the precautions with your consultant / surgeon.
I admire your spirit for not allowing KC to rule your life but sometimes we have to know and accept our limitations.

\Good luck mate and stay safe

Mike
onwards and upwards

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Re: Kickboxing after having corneal grafts

Postby Karl R » Thu 06 Sep 2007 5:42 am

Hi James,

If your grafts are fairly new, I'd have thought common sense would dictate avoidance of any extreme physical contact sport. Otherwise I would suggest, as Mike has done, discussing in this in detail with your consultant.

Even with all the protective gear there is still the remote possibility of damage being done. Whilst having grafts need not, and should not, restrict what you do in your life, a certain amount of discretion is advised.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 06 Sep 2007 6:56 am

James

In principle I am up for anything; always provided that the risks can be known and managed. If I am right it is now some time since your last eye surgery, so the initial danger period is probably behind you. Nonetheless, it is a good idea to pass this in front of both your optometrist and ophthalmologist.

If they give you the green light then we'll be expecting an exhibition bout at a future Scottish meeting!

"Things you can still do with KC"; James and others demonstrating martial arts and I could do a cookery demonstration: "melba toast with poor eyesight!"

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Thu 06 Sep 2007 7:28 am

I have dabbled fairly extensively in martial arts, so perhaps I can help. I used to play Judo for the Navy and I am a black-belt Ju-Jitsu. I too plan to return to Judo when I have had my graft and made a FULL recovery.
I think the issue with kick-boxing and similar disciplines is that thay are very strike intensive. And because you are training, your sparring partner may not alway pull the punch in time or indeed not place the punch where it is meant to go. As you become more tired, more mistakes are made. I observed this in myself and my Ju-Jitsu students when we praticed kicks and punches. You will need to then ensure that the protection you where is definitely going to protect your eyes in the case of recieving a blow to the head. Imagine the worst likely situation; because if you train enough you have to assume that it will happen!
As the others have mentioned, your consultant should be advised and let him/her make you aware of the pros and cons. I am not saying you should not do it but please go into it knowing you have discounted all the risks. Other martial arts/sports such as Judo, use grappling techniques and no strikes whatsoever. These may be safer, and just as much fun. 8)
Finally, let me congratulate you on your spirit and not letting KC beat you. Well Done! :D

Get a life...get a dog!

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby james mckinlay » Thu 06 Sep 2007 7:51 pm

OKAY ALL I HAVE SPOKEN TO MY INSTRUCTOR AND SHE HAS SAID THAT ANY HARD CONTACT IN THE STYLE OF KICKBOXING I HAVE TAKEN UP IS FORBIDEN ANYONE USING FULL CONTACT WILL BE EXPELLED FROM THE CLUB. I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD I CAN PURCHASE HEAD PROTECTION THAT PROTECTS MY FULL FACE AND WILL NOT ALLOW ANY CONTACT TO THE EYES.

IN MY CASE MY GRAFTS ARE SETTLED my left one i had 6 years ago which is the one i have problems with i am almost blind in that eye

the right one is 3 years old and has the better vision.

i have taken a brave choice i think with the level of vision i have to yake up kickboxing but i have always been of the opinion of its not how poor your sight is because what you do with the sight you have is what counts but then again i have reason to want to be in danger as i have a bi-polar condition the new term for manic depression.

i will keep you all posted and as for the exebition andrew no problems im up for that i wonder if my younger brother would be my sparring dummy i doubt it and if you are cooking then i like pasta or pizza lol

thanks for all the advice

james
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Fri 07 Sep 2007 7:05 am

James,
Good for you. I hope you really enjoy it, I had a lot of fun with martial arts and it also gives you a sense of confidence too.
Good luck with it. 8)

Get a life...get a dog!

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Fri 07 Sep 2007 7:08 am

Good to see that you're letting your life run your KC and not the other way around.

Just be careful
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 07 Sep 2007 9:26 am

All the best with your new sport.

I'd still think it was worth mentioning to Dr Ramaesh or another member of his team that you have taken up this sport. You never know, they might like to join!

All the best.

Andrew

ps, by the way; I am not sure I can do pizza, but I can do Melba Toast :D
Andrew MacLean

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby james mckinlay » Mon 10 Sep 2007 8:05 pm

well thats me just completed my first week of kickboxing and i just found out i do not have to spar to progress in the belt system. however i am planning to take part in the sparring because i want to be the next kickboxing champion lol i have also been told by the head instructor that she takes the safety of her students extremely seriously and has assured me i will not recieve contact to the head.

what a relief well either that or i would buy a full covered headguard i may invest in one to be on the safe side.

she was a bit taken back when she found out i am half blind lol but she thinks i have guts lol well i know i will have a groin guard or or my guts will be painfull lol.

anyways all you KC people get out thee and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”