Eye Graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

magicbug
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Eye Graft

Postby magicbug » Thu 30 Aug 2007 1:56 pm

Hi All,

I’m scheduled to have a graft on my left eye on the 1st of October! at the Oxford Eye Hospital (or what ever they call themselves of late!) I’ve had a graft on my right eye done a few years ago, but I’m still nervous about the whole thing because I’m just about to start my final year at University.

As the last graft was some time ago, I’m wondering what the recovery rate is now a days? How long am I looking to be off university? Also what won’t I be able to do after it? The paperwork which they sent me is less than helpful.

Regards

Peter.
Peter

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Eye Graft

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 30 Aug 2007 2:13 pm

Hello Peter, and welcome to the forum!

How long is a piece of string? All I can do is share my own experience.

I had my first graft in 2003 and number two in 2006. After the first graft (PK) I was off work for 6 weeks, the long delay was due in part to my surgeon not trusting me to restrict myself to light work over the Christmas period.

After my second graft (DALK) I was off work for less than two weeks. By that time I was able to see well enough to read although not drive.

I subsequently had cataract surgery in my PK eye. I did not need any time off work following that surgery. I am now able to drive.

What are you studying?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

magicbug

Postby magicbug » Thu 30 Aug 2007 2:38 pm

Hi Andrew,

I'm studying Multimedia Technology (Web Design), which doesn't involve any heavy lifting.. just lots of hours sat in front of computer screens.

Think I'm just going to have to take it one step at a time and see how things go and hope I'm not off for 6 weeks! My last graft was a partial one cant remember the exact name of it, Hopefully this graft will go just as well.

At the moment light is really bugging me and wear sunglasses most of the time while out and about its amusing at the looks you get from people.
Peter

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 30 Aug 2007 3:16 pm

My second graft was done in the break between first and second year at uni.

So never had time off as such.

Recovery times are still individual and any time off studying will be guided by you doctor but yuop should stay in regular contact with your tutor so they know what is happening and can make the allowances you are entitled too.

What I will say about PC useage is take regular short breaks as these are far better for you and help prevent your eyes drying out because blink rate goes down when you stare at a computer or tv screen.

Have a look at the FAQ section of the forum.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 30 Aug 2007 3:47 pm

Peter

The LAST thing I'd worry about is what I look like to people. I wear rather flamboyant hats and sunglasses to shield my eyes from the injurious rays of the sun.

Life is too short to stop and explain to everybody "I have this eye condition that makes me sensitive to light, but that's not the worst part of it ...". If your wearing sunglasses is a problem for other people then let it be their problem: you have enough to carry without feeling awkward for them.

Those who know you already understand.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Thu 30 Aug 2007 10:25 pm

Hi Peter
I am currently studing at the moment and had a DALK back in july and my surgeon said I could go back to this after a week as long as i was careful and wasn`t carrying any heavey folder ect but this was nut a probably as i could arrange a planned break for as long as i needed to but as my tutor/assessor also need to visit me at work for assessment i planned a break for 2 months as i am not due back ar work till tuesday after nearly severn weeks of sick as the surgeon decided it was best for me to have a bit longer of work as i work with children aged 6 weeks and 14 yrs and you know how ubpredictable children can be especially babies and those who need one to one support we were both had concrs that i may obtain further injury hence wh7y so long of worlk Surgeon did sat if i worked in an office i could have gone back after 2 weeks, irt was a bit of a bumer being of so long as i am not entitled to sick but my eyes are more important then money but it gave me time to the planning of activites for the next half term so not to bothed but glad to be returning to work next week. Any way I hope it wont belong before you return to yni given that i was rolf i could return after week i'm sure you wont be of long but this of caurse depened on your surgein and how well your eye heals after surgery as we are all deferent remember to follow your surgeons advise cause they will now whats best for you. H
Take care and good luck with your graft
martwoman
remember theres always hope upon the horizon although at times its hard to find but seek and you will find

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 01 Sep 2007 10:39 am

Peter

Just be sure that you inform your tutor (director of studies, or whatever your University calls the Adademic to whom you go with all your woes). I think tht there is a leaflet that you can print out somewhere on the site or it may be that your hospital will give you a leaflet that explains what is happening and what special support you may need.

Universities are usually pretty good at making space for students with particular needs. The only exception I have come accross is Schools or Faculties of Medicine.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sat 01 Sep 2007 4:48 pm

Heres is a link to the information Andrew mentioned;

Supporting Students with KC

The top right of the page has a link to a dowloadable version to hand to your tutors.
Gareth

vjs05
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vjs05 » Tue 04 Sep 2007 3:04 pm

hiya
i had my graft las year between2nd ad third year, i am studying computing and found that wen i went back thatlong perios on the computer made my eyes very ore and gave meheadaches easier, but my tutot knew about my conditiona nd gave me extensions and was very good at making sure that everything that i needed i had and even made the effort to see me befre the exam to chack if i required any help

The uni was really awful good at ccomodating me and helpful, all in alli dont think ur uni work will suffer just make sure the correct person knows and dont just wait until the problem (if any) get too much and you will be fine.

Goodluck with the surgery and with your studies

vic
Vic Shaw

Currently waiting on second IOL
Grafts in both eyes, IOL and glasses

Return to “General Discussion Forum”