what do you pay?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: what do you pay?

Postby GarethB » Tue 16 Oct 2007 10:33 am

Spong

That is loads clearer while you are a private patinet. Sure you fitter would be happy to see you as an NHS patient, either way he gets paid.

Go to the home page and contacts to register your details with the group for our mailings and get all the infornmation we have including help you are entitled to at work.

Basically if KC is having an inpact on your daily life it is a disability, if at work you need to be without lenses such as they have become uncomfortable you probably see very little therefore your employer has a legal obligation to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you still work in a safe environment. By the same token you have an obligation to notify your employer of any health issues that may impact on your work and to give any adjuastments they make a go.

Register with the group and get our employee/employer information leaflet, it will help both of you.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth

BusyLizzy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: what do you pay?

Postby BusyLizzy » Tue 16 Oct 2007 2:27 pm

Hi there,

I have my lenses fitted in an NHS eye department, where I pay £40 towards the lens for my right eye. However, I have to pay the full cost of my specs (which I need for my left eye), minus the NHS voucher towards the cost of the prescription lens (the voucher is about £40 I think, specs vary from £150-£200).

That very same department used to supply me with one small bottle of lens soaking/wetting solution plus one small bottle of cleaning solution every 3 months or so. Not any more!
I mainly buy all my contact lens solutions online, because I can't get all of it in local shops.

I pay for Total Care lens cleaner
Total Care soaking/wetting solution
Lens Plus saline solution
Systane eye drops
Sodium cromoglycate preservative free drops
Ultrazyme protein remover tablets
Preservative free liquifilm eye drops
Travel to hospital to appointments (£8.00) every 3-4 months or more often if I'm going through a difficult time with the eye/lens)

This is my eye sight and I don't begrudge a penny, especially if the care is good and the optometrists give you their full time and attention and refer you straight away to a consultant if there are problems.
Keep looking for rainbows.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”