can contact lenses prevent further damage

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

rkhan19
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

can contact lenses prevent further damage

Postby rkhan19 » Wed 08 Aug 2007 8:27 am

Hi
I have recently been told that I have keratoconus in the right eye and that I will need contact lenses But I have been told that they are hard to get in and they cause a lot of irritation so I was just wondering do thet contact lenses have any other advantages aprt from improving your eye sight?????????? can they prolong any further progression of keratoconus??????????

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Re: can contact lenses prevent further damage

Postby donna » Wed 08 Aug 2007 11:41 am

As far as I know they dont do anything else for you but improve your sight.
I got mine in June and have had hardly any problems, my advice to you would be to ask around for a good lens fitter who is used to people with KC, I think the reason I get on so well with mine is because I have an excellent lens fitter and my lenses are a good fit.
As long as I am not suffering from hayfever and use eyedrops/drink water my eyes are comfy with my lenses, I have Rose K lenses and they are fab.
On a good day I can get 14 hours wear time, today my hayfever is bad so my wear time is reduced.

Hari Navarro
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby Hari Navarro » Wed 08 Aug 2007 11:51 am

Hi rkhan19,
I'm afraid that RGP's do not in any way prevent keratoconus from progressing. There was a time when general information about this was quite confusing (I remember people posting on forums that had been told by their respective opticians that hard lenses stopped or even cured Keratoconus!!??). But now thankfully we are much better informed, contact lenses do not cure KC they simply alter the shape of the corneal surface so as to allow people to live life a little closer to normal.

adam
Contributor
Contributor

Postby adam » Wed 08 Aug 2007 11:55 am

sorry to jump on the thread but donna you mention having a good contact fitter and wearing rose k lenses, how do i enquire about these things? i rely on my hospital contact lens department woman atm and she basically offers rgp lenses or no lenses...

cheers
- Adam

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Asif » Wed 08 Aug 2007 5:52 pm

adam, a rosk k is a type of rgp lens and there are different types of rose ks, you may have them know but ask your lens fitter to make sure.

rkhan19, as others have said the only thing lenses do is improve your vision. they do take a while to get used to, you'll probably initially be fitted with the small corneal rgps.. they dont cause any irritation just discomfort, however they can take a while to get used to and you may like them. however, if not there are many other lens types and options you can try after. but i would advise to not go into any surgical procedures until you have tried lenses first. you need to make sure you have a very good fitter so ask your consultant to refer you to someone they recommend

rkhan19
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rkhan19 » Fri 10 Aug 2007 5:56 pm

thanks for posting youve helped alot

Return to “General Discussion Forum”