just had my op

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Pascalini
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

just had my op

Postby Pascalini » Sat 28 Jul 2007 6:07 pm

wow cant believe im finally in- had probs registering here b4 my op and had so many questions but its over now and i finally went through with it.

Cant believe what a difference the op has made to my left eye in vision i wake up in the morning and i get that - 'oh no ive left my contact lens in feeling'

i should really be over the moon even tho i still cant really see that much but with a contact lens in my other eye i just feel really dizzy and cant focus atall. this leaves me a little worried as i need to get back to work soon.

Im trying not to jump the gun but im 27 and very enthusiastic about getting back into action however i did only have the operation 4 days ago.

my question is - when are you aloud to wear glasses or contact lenses in the grafted eye after the op? i need somthing to stop this dizzy feeling a get and not being able to focus because the two eyes are so different. got a feeling a lens wont be suitable till after the stiches come out? but is there a reason why i cant get some glasses? anything would be better than how im coping now.

hope you can help- i'll prob have loads of questions lol
Steve

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: just had my op

Postby GarethB » Tue 31 Jul 2007 8:13 pm

The dizzy feeling should wear off and is likely to be the anaesthetic still working through your system.

Contacts/glasses are usually prescribed when the cornea is showing some stability otherwise you will be paying a fortune in glasses. My experience is most surgeons wait until all sutures are removed before allowing you contact lenses again which is often 12 to 18 months.

Returning to work in a hurry in all honesty should be avoided as depending what you do more harm than good could be caused. Be guided by what your doctor says. If you are signed off sick, you can not return to work until you either have a new note stating you are fit for work or the current sick note has been expired.
Gareth

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: just had my op

Postby Asif » Tue 31 Jul 2007 10:44 pm

As Gareth stated you will only be prescribed glasses or contact lenses once the graft settles, which would be about 6-12 months. Stitches would be taken out around the 12 month mark if neccassary depending on your astigmatism, If its quite high some will be removed to try and reduce. If not then they will be kept in depending on your consultant whether they're willing to risk it, as removing stitches can either improve your vision or make it worse. Some consultants wait until all stitches have been removed and if your left with a bit of astigmatism thats not corrected with glasses very well you may have to wear lenses most likely rgps. However some consultants may prefer not removing any stitches as your astigmatism may not be very high and do not want to risk removing any, and if your not happy with the vision your gettin with glasses you can wear rgps if you still have all the stitches in place.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”