light sensitivity.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Nbarn

light sensitivity.

Postby Nbarn » Thu 26 Jul 2007 10:51 am

I am sorry if this has been posted before but I didn't seem to see it anywhere. I just wondered if anyone here suffered from increased light sensitivity and it affects them/they cope with it?

Thanks in advance!
NB

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Thu 26 Jul 2007 11:30 am

Nbarn,
Light sensitivity or photophobia is suffered by a lot of keratoconics. The compromised cornea scatters light in unexpected directions, which is what causes it.
For me it is worse with lenses. The answer in most cases seems to be a good pair of sunglasses. The RNIB sell 'uv shields' on line at a very reasonable price. They can exclude up to about 87% of the light that would normally enter the eye, depending which glasses you buy. They are basically sunglasses, they are not strong on style but very finctional.
If you buy high street sunglasses, many of us choose polarised lenses. These come in various categories (1-4). Cat 4 are the strongest and will give excellent relief from the worst on the sun's rays, typically 95% or more light is excluded. However, Cat 4 are illegal for driving, so Cat 3 may be an acceptable compromise excluding around 82 - 92% of the light. I have some other tactics for work:

1. I pretty much always wear sunglasses outdoors, regardless of the weather, I find this increases my lens use significantly.

2. I reduce the glare from my computer screen, either turning down the brightness, or using muted / washed out colour schemes or both. Some visability software is very good for this.

3. I keep flourescent lights down to a minimum.

Basically, when you and your employer put your minds to it, a lot of glare can be cut out without a lot of fuss and expense.

Hope this helps.

Get a life...get a dog!

Nbarn

Postby Nbarn » Thu 26 Jul 2007 11:38 am

thank you do much for this...its great advice!

Nb xx

helen jones
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

light sensitivity

Postby helen jones » Thu 26 Jul 2007 6:25 pm

might be obvious but wrap round frames , currently very fashionable, are even better
Helen

Elizabeth R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Elizabeth R » Thu 26 Jul 2007 10:48 pm

I have been sensitvit to Light for a logn Time.

morag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby morag » Fri 27 Jul 2007 8:35 am

If I can reply without being targeted
Bright lights is also one of the major problems of mine too
I have never managed to find the correct sun glasses to help- even the most expensive ones don’t really do then job- now there’s a gap in the market!!!!!Wonder if Oakley or some other company would like to help should we contact them??
If I have to go out a baseball hat and an old pair of wrap around s is the best I can suggest along with all the other suggestions above
Good luck
Morag

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 27 Jul 2007 9:50 am

Just like Morag I could not find a set of glasses that worked until I went to my local optom who had a wider variety of lens tints to try.

These did not come cheap but were tailored to my needs.

I have also found wrapround tinted safety glasses also do the job, are more robust and a whole load cheaper too.
Gareth

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 27 Jul 2007 11:39 am

I also suffer from light sensitivity and have done so ever since I have worn contact lenses - years before I knew I had keratoconus.

For me any pair of good quality sunglasses is sufficient and I live in them most of the summer. I'm frequently told, by friends and family, that I can't possibly need sunglasses on an overcast day!

I have found that when I have a contact lens that doesn't fit properly the light sensitivity can be far worse and the eye practically refuses to open and look where I want it to!

I also find that if I forget to wear my sunglasses, if it is bright outside, I suffer with a bad headache above my right eye (the worse one) about six hours later. If the glare hits my eyes in a certain way I know that I will be suffering later!

Lia

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: light sensitivity.

Postby Pat A » Sat 28 Jul 2007 2:17 pm

I suffer with this too. Although I have found some good polarised sunglasses that suit me fine I have recently visited a website at
http://www.optimalowvision.co.uk
for a different product but noticed that they do have an extremely extensive range of sunglasses and anti glare glasses. Might be worth a look for anyone who can't find what they want in the high street?
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Damien W
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: light sensitivity.

Postby Damien W » Sun 29 Jul 2007 12:07 pm

Not really knowing what the sunlight is like over there (I'm down under) I can only relate to wht we get here (bloody bright)

For me the best method is wearing a set of darkly tinted (rated to be used with oxy/acetaline torches in heating mode) wrap around safety glasses (not goggles) and a hat of some discription (i usually wear a baseball style cap when not at work, when at work I have to wear the hat appropriate with which uniform I'm wearing)

As I wear contacts (RGP) this seaves 2 purposes, it keeps the light down and causes less problems with dust and wind getting in my eyes.

Only one problem I find with this method is that now there is a "untanned" portion to my face right around my eyes which when not wearing my sunnies and hat looks a little odd. Most people I know accept it and amake a little lighthearted fun of it also which oddl;y makes me feel better about myself and my KC.

Regarding computer screens and the like, I have found that trying to fill the room with natural light (but no that bright that you need to wear sunnies inside) makes a difference for me as there is not such a difference when I look away from the screen and this helps me.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”