Had my graft yesterday too!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Vincent
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Vincent » Sat 14 Jul 2007 2:28 pm

Many thanks amacuk for this so interesting keratoconus story!

Also it wouldn't be right for me to leave without thanking the donor and his family - not sure they'll ever get my gratitude but they deserve it immensely.

Good luck
Vincent

amacuk

Postby amacuk » Sat 14 Jul 2007 3:12 pm

Hi again, a little update.

So I'm at T+72 hours from the graft now. On the whole still very positive and definitely pain free.

There is a little discomfort primarily due to the watering, which is starting to subside. The "water" seems a little heavier than normal tears, probably the mixture of tears and drops, and I have to get it out with a tissue from the side of my eye. No big problems though.

I do have some "gunk" in the morning but interestingly this is less than I had before the graft. My other, non-grafted eye, is much happier and seems to tolerate my lens better. I wonder if the anti-inflammatory and anti-infection drops are somehow making their way over to this eye too and it's having a calming effect.

Vision still getting better, and I could see the hands on my watch clearly at lunchtime without squinting, using only my grafted eye. Vision is still blurry but I can get depth of colour I havn't seen for decades!

First thing in the morning is the only tough time, eye takes about an hour to settle down, and needs to be "prompted" to open up. A small amount of redness at the bottom of my eye, but that's been there since the graft and the Consultant saw it so I'm not too bothered. Back to see him next Friday anyway.

Comedyjester : sorry yours doesn't seem so great. My Consultant said to looks out for RSVP (Redness, Sensitivity to Light, disturbance of Vision or Pain). If any apply to call the hospital straight away and not wait for the next appointment. Bear it in mind.

I'll keep posting if folks are interested.

Thanks, amacuk[/b]

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Sat 14 Jul 2007 3:57 pm

Glad all is going soooooo well :) After my graft it took about 2 weeks for the eye to stop watering and being gunky in the morning. But i was amazed at how easy the whole thing was.
Its such a relieve when you finally get it done.
Hope things carry on going well for you.

Anne

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Sat 14 Jul 2007 4:26 pm

glad things are stil going well for you and hope they continue to go well for you
take care
martwoman

amacuk

Postby amacuk » Mon 16 Jul 2007 9:17 pm

Hi, day 5 now. Much less watering, and vision still better than before. The "wow" what-a-difference sight improvements have slowed down, but I guess that's to be expected. I understand it can take many months to stabilise.

Still gunky in the morning, but not so difficult to open the eye in the morning.

Good luck to all about to have theirs, and for the kind messages posted in reply to my updates.

Thanks,

amacuk

Postby amacuk » Mon 23 Jul 2007 10:04 pm

Hi there,

Day 12 today, and I returned to work.

No pain, no watering, no gunk, no more eye protector at night. Vision continues to improve.

After wearing a lens for 25 years in my left eye it is very weird not to have to worry about it popping out any more!

Best thing I ever did/had done to me!

How is comedy jester and the other recent graftees getting on? Very well I hope.....

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Mon 23 Jul 2007 10:06 pm

Glad things Ok for you - long may it continue!
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Val G » Tue 24 Jul 2007 7:06 pm

Amacuk

Pleased to hear things are going well.

Regarding the donor's family. I asked if it was appropriate to sent a note of thanks. My consultant seemed very pleased to forward this via UK Transplant (it says on their website 'those involved may want to exchange anonymous letters of thanks or good wishes through the transplant co-ordinators)

I obviously don't know if they ever received it. But I felt if the roles had been reversed I would have gained a little comfort from knowing there had been a positive outcome from my generosity.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”