Had my graft yesterday too!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

amacuk

Had my graft yesterday too!

Postby amacuk » Thu 12 Jul 2007 10:03 pm

Hi, first post here, but have read for a few years. I note the comedyjester was due to have a graft on the same day. My graft happened yesterday at Frimley Park, Camberley, under Mr Poole.

I'm writing this in the hope that others may find it useful, as I took great strength reading the views and experiences of others on this forum.

I am a male 38 years old, with KC in both eyes diagnosed in my early teens. RGP lenses corrected satisfactorily for more than 25 years, then BAM! Last September, and coinciding with my first ever bone fracture, I became intolerant of my left lens, (my stronger eye) and diagnosed with my first episode of hydrops. Very swollen and red eye, couldn't have the lens in for more than a few minutes. Other eye still able to retain a lens but protested strongly at the extra work by weeping and producing lots of white gunk.

Mr Poole at Frimley saw me last year and said I'm not sure you'll be able to wear a lens in that left eye again, and he was right. This was a bit of shock after 25 years of corrected vision - although it wasn't perfect sight of course, I could function normally, albeit sitting a bit closer to the PC than others, and watching my steps in the dark. I was able to drive too.

My Consultant didn't give in and we tried a few options before the graft. First off a more professional lens fitting with Rose K lenses, an improvement for my right lense-tolerant eye, but no good for the dodgy left.

Then off to see the wonderful and passionate (about his work) Ken Pullum to try out his "scary" (schleral) lenses. What a guy! Unfortunately left eye still not having it.

The graft of my left was scheduled for June 13th but got postponed for a month due to lack of tissue. It finally happened yesterday, about 32 hours ago from the time of writing.

Got to Frimley at 1230pm for a 2pm procedure. I was very anxious but was trying to look ahead - we had a new baby 2 weeks ago - and soon being wheeled down to one of the 2 eye theatres at Frimley. Quickly knocked out, and the next thing I know I'm in the recovery room being awoken.

This was probably the most uncomfortable half hour for me, the shock of realising it was over and that I was alive, feeling very groggy and there was definite discomfort from the eye. I can't say it felt painful - and in fact I still don't have any pain, but it was more like that feeling you get when you take a nap and have forgotten to take your lenses out. In other words it's bearable because we've all had that feeling and you know that if you can resist rubbing the eye it will calm down in an hour. It did. What also helps is the eye protector they put on which stopped me doing any rubbing/damage sub-consiously.

Up to my hospital bed around 5pm and just slept fitfully until 0530hrs this morning when I just had to get up. The world, and Frimley Park Hospital, is a very different place at that time of the morning.

Eye still covered by protector but I can feel it trying to open up beneath and to be honest it didn't hurt to do so. I could make out some shadows behind the protector and bandage.

Nurse removed protector at about 0730. No reaction to light at all, and no pain whatsoever. Only real thing to note was lots and lots of watering - again not painful and probably the eyes way of keeping itself lubricated. 2 lots of drops inserted and I go for a walk. Got through loads of tissues for the watering but who cares.

I then tested the eye, by covering the other, and I already see a visual improvement. I have depth of near vision, rather than just "shapes", and am very pleased.

See my Consultant about midday then I'm off home, and have a nap.

For the last 3 hours I've been watching the telly and keep testing the progress. Watering much subsided, no pain whatsoever, and I could see the tele from the grafted eye about 20 times better than this time 48 hours ago. As each hour passes I can see and feel improvements in the vision.

I hope this continues! Back to the hosp in a week to check progress. Then I'll work on convincing Mr Poole to do the other eye. Don't think he'll have a problem because he kept telling me he couldn't wait to do this eye as he could change my vision so much - he was absolutely right! Should mention that guy is a top chap, and knows his stuff!

Hope this helps readers out there.

Also it wouldn't be right for me to leave without thanking the donor and his family - not sure they'll ever get my gratitude but they deserve it immensely.

Cheers,
Last edited by amacuk on Fri 13 Jul 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hari Navarro
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Graft

Postby Hari Navarro » Thu 12 Jul 2007 10:59 pm

Fantastic story... I just finished reading it here (Its almost 1 in the morning)... I wish you all the very best. I'm only a year older than you so I know how this kind of thing affects not only you but also your entire family.

Congrats on your new baby and your new vision. I look forward to hearing more about your continued progress.

Regards,
Hari Navarro

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Thu 12 Jul 2007 11:53 pm

Hi

Good to hear that everythng has gone ok. Hope things continue in this way for you and continue to improve as the days/weeks pass.

best wishes

Susan
don't let the people that mean nothing to you get you down, because in the end they are worth nothing to you, they are just your obstacles in life to trip you up!

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Fri 13 Jul 2007 1:14 am

HI Amacuk, and welcome to the forum.

That's certainly a wonderful story; thanks for posting it.

I hope your new eye heals as quickly as your new baby grows.

Good luck with the second eye... although consultants usually wait until after the stitches are out of the first graft before attempting the second.

Do keep us up-to-date with your progress!

By the way, was your graft a DALK or a PK (or something else?)
John

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Fri 13 Jul 2007 7:51 am

Thats an excellent story, thanks for taking the time to post it here :D
Hope you continue to recover well :lol:

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Fri 13 Jul 2007 8:04 am

Lovely story. Thanks and good luck.

Get a life...get a dog!

amacuk

Postby amacuk » Fri 13 Jul 2007 8:29 am

Hi, thanks for all the welcome posts.

To be clear it was a full thickness graft.

Cheers.

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Fri 13 Jul 2007 9:52 am

Thanks for posting that it really helped settle my nervous about my graft thats due early monday morning provided there a suitable donnor. Take care and good luck and hope things continue to go well for you
Luv
martwoman

comedyjester
Contributor
Contributor

Postby comedyjester » Sat 14 Jul 2007 11:02 am

hiya,

i just wanted to see how you were doing now a few days later?

i am still struggling to open up my eye at the moment as it is still full of gunk and we have cleaned it a couple of times. i also fnd my eyes very sensitive to the light including my other eye which i find quit strange.

i am looking forward to a weekend of not popping to north london and just enjoying a relax. anyway keep us posted i am sure everyone is here to hear how you are getting on.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sat 14 Jul 2007 12:05 pm

Comedyjester,

When I had my first graft nearly 20 years ago I too was very light sensitive and it made opening the other eye difficult. However if I was in a darkend room, I could open my eye no problems and look at the tv which I thought would be problematic being relatively light. :?

Anyways, I soon got over it and I hope you do soon.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”