A Diary of my Graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

comedyjester
Contributor
Contributor

A Diary of my Graft

Postby comedyjester » Wed 11 Jul 2007 8:01 am

Good morning Folks.

Today is the day of my operation. I am going to try and write regular entries to explain how if feel each day and hopefully it will be a vluable resource for others.

Wednesday 11th June 08.57 - I was up at five this morning so i could have some Weetabix and a cup of tea and plenty of water. I was told to fast from Six and I think I am already hungry. I have not worried about the operation at all over the last few weeks as its been hectic at work and the theatre trying to make it so that I can take 2 1/2 weeks off. I did find it difficult to sleep last night.

Amie my girlfriend and I will be leaving shortly and need to be at Moorfields by 11.30. It seems I am coming home today and will definitely get a tai even if it costs a fortune. I was a bit surprised when they told me i wasnt staying overnight as most of my reading suggests I will.

Anyway i am positive, a little tired. And wishing i could have some Claritin for my hayfever but otherwise fine. I will hopefully be back to tell you how the thing goes.
Last edited by comedyjester on Wed 11 Jul 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Wed 11 Jul 2007 8:05 am

Goodluck xx

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Wed 11 Jul 2007 8:58 am

Good luck, take care.

Susan
don't let the people that mean nothing to you get you down, because in the end they are worth nothing to you, they are just your obstacles in life to trip you up!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 11 Jul 2007 9:32 am

All the best, you can read this on your return :wink:
Gareth

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Wed 11 Jul 2007 11:18 am

Hope it all goes well for you good luck
luv
martwoman
ps I hopefully will be having my graft on monday i am just praying it doesn't get canceled like it did last time

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Wed 11 Jul 2007 6:15 pm

Best of luck, comedyjester. Do let us know how you got on.
John

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Wed 11 Jul 2007 10:48 pm

Hope it all went/goes well and big thanks for writing the diary - most of us will no doubt have to go through it at some point so knowing as much as possible from a KCers point ofview is really useful, if not reassuring.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Thu 12 Jul 2007 5:34 pm

Ed,

Thankfully, most people DON'T ever need a graft, thank goodness.

Unfortunately, anyone reading this forum gets a skewed view, as the majority whose KC causes them no problems at all don't ever see the need to post here.

I can't quite remember but I think that the proportion of KCers who have grafts eventually is around the 5-10% range.
John

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Thu 12 Jul 2007 9:19 pm

John

Good point well made - I think I must be one of the skewed readers!

I guess it also comes from my doctors always saying "well if this doesnt work it's a graft for you my lad!"

Apologies to anyone I may have inadvertently worried. i'll make a mental note not to post so late next time!
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

comedyjester
Contributor
Contributor

Postby comedyjester » Fri 13 Jul 2007 9:16 am

Congratulations to Amacuk.

It seems he had a graft on the same day as me and it seemed to go swimmingly well.

Perhaps a little more about me. I am 27 and have had KC sonce I was 8. I have it in both eyes and and however my right ete is worse than my left which i can still wear a contact lens in but there is always the chance it could get worse hence the graft.

Today is Friday and two days after the graft. I am afraid things have not been as pleasant for me as they have been for Amacuk.

Day 1: My girlfriend and I arrived at the Mckellar Ward @ Moorfields and it seems they were very busy. I think they were very busy as they never actually finished checking me in, the nurse kept getting called away, and soon the anaesthetist and the consultant (Mr Tuft) wanted to see me. I found the General Aneasthetic difficult so they gave me more than they expecected to which probably worried my girlfriend. Waking to a sandwich and a cup of tea i was soon cracking jokes but it was ages before we were allowed to go home (I wasnt staying the night) and soon I was feeling terrible. It took ages for the pharmacy to deliver my drops and pills and i still had to finish "being checked in" before i could go.

Finally I was allowed to go hom. I was in agony the whole hour and £42 taxi ride home and I found the night very restless. Amie was brilliant as my lovely nurse and she gavem e painkillers and did my eye drops even though she could tell I was no longer my usual chirpy happy self with what felt like a massive pressure behind my eyes and forehead. I have a varieety of pulls and eye drops to take. hourly, drops, steroid ones every four hours, and pressure ones twice a day. Painkillers when I can, 8 pills every morning for allergies and pressure pills every four hours.

Day Two: We arrived back at the hospital at one the next day with another expensive taxi drive (I really did not fancy train and underground) and Mr Tufts fellow could see something was wrong immediately. He berated the nurses because they had failed to give me some anto-pressure pills and he quickly injected me with something that helped quickly. What a relief this was and soon I was feeling so much better and much more relaxed. Bruno exuded a air of calm even though you knew he was angry with what had happened. He unfortunately also wanted to see me tomorrow because he wanted to check the pressure had gone down. This time at St Annes in Tottenham. More taxi drives.....

Day Three: I am awake now with my left lens in feeling much much better. I have still got a variety of pulls to take but hopefilully Bruno will take some away today. I will let you know how tday goes but I am mobile and and watching tv now. I have yet to ttry and see wityh my eye yet ad I havent been able to take the patch off without drops going in. To be hnest I am a little scared and will wait for the doctor at my meeting with him next wednesday i think.

Anyway thanks for your support. COme back soon!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”