Floaters??

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

timtim
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Floaters??

Postby timtim » Mon 09 Jul 2007 4:35 pm

Do you guys get those weird floater/ worm things that float by your vision? I've always had them to some extent, but ever since I got KC and it progressed, they are pretty bad. I don't know what causes them, and also wonder if there is anything that can be done to help it.

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Mon 09 Jul 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Tim,

Yep! I've had them for a long time before I was diagnosed with KC and now you've mentioned them, I can't see anything but in my left eye.

Have a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

To me they are nothing more than annoying but I would get them checked out if they are comprimising your vision.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Jon House
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jon House » Mon 09 Jul 2007 5:49 pm

Have them in my right eye, which is my good eye. Very annoying. Thanks for the link above, never thought of researching them before, quite interesting!

scaistar

Postby scaistar » Tue 10 Jul 2007 7:22 am

HI,
at this link http://www.miodesopsie.it/sito/miodesopsie.asp can find some info in Italian.

Very interesting 3 video of FLOATERS
http://www.miodesopsie.it/sito/miodesopsie1.asp

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Tue 10 Jul 2007 4:15 pm

I have floaters in both eyes but they are particularly prolific in my worst KC eye - cobwebs, dots & stringy bits! Added to the ghosting, glare and double vision problems from the KC, I get pretty fed up with them some days!
My optom explained that if they get really bad then it is possible to attempt to remove any very large or particularly dark ones, but is not even recommended for "normal" sighted people as the success rate is not good. The brain does get used to them and learns to ignore them a lot of the time - but like everything else they are more of a nuisance some days than others.
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Marc Pritchard
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Postby Marc Pritchard » Tue 10 Jul 2007 5:09 pm

I get them too, always wondered what they are, worse thing is, when I close one eye they tend to get very noticable. :x :x :x
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Philip K. Dick

Louise Berridge
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

floaters

Postby Louise Berridge » Tue 10 Jul 2007 7:53 pm

I didn't have them for 33 years, then started seeing them last year. A few months later I was diagnosed with KC. The good eye didn't show signs of KC and there were no floaters. Then a couple of months ago, I started noticing them, which made me think KC may be starting in that eye. Low and behold, thinning was detected at the back of the cornea next time I visited the clinic. There must be a connection. Perhaps when the cornea thins, or mishapens, these bits of junk floating around show up for some reason.

Louise

Return to “General Discussion Forum”