confused about treatment/Intacs types?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

helen jones
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

confused about treatment/Intacs types?

Postby helen jones » Fri 29 Jun 2007 5:48 pm

went to consultant in north west yesterday to discuss Intacs. Have read some recent comments and am now panicking! He said he is waiting for "new" Intacs to come from Brazil that are better than what he's used so far and I can have the procedure done cheaper because it's a new supplier. Am I being used as a guinea pig? Also does not perform C3R - says it damages the epithelium and possibly the retina ? I don't know whether to pay to get a second opinion - don't really want to waste money seeing the " wrong" person. Any advice guys?

tommy.dean
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby tommy.dean » Fri 29 Jun 2007 6:19 pm

go to see dan reinstein at london vision clinic he does collagen cross linking an has a new technique where he only removes the epithelium around the pupil so no hazing in front of it, don't let anybody miss advise you on collagen cross linking please could you pm me who you went to who told you that that it damages the epithelium and retina? I can't comment on the new intacts from brazil never heard of them only thing i can imagine is there made from a new material. Honestly I wouldn't worry about intacts the are a non invasive technique for KC, worst comes to worst helen you could have them removed. If you can though helen go down to london even if it's just for a second opinion, I'm from blackburn i and i go it's only like 60£ return on the virgin trains and they get you there in like 2 an a bit hours so it's not too difficult to get there. The website for london vision clinic in http://www.londonvisionclinic.com/ check it out, you can trust dan with your eye's he is a very very clever man and a legend in my eye's(fixed up nicely thanks to him:lol: lol) also post your queries on the http://www.kcfreedom.org/ forum they are on top with new techniques and will sort you out with the information your looking for.
would have posted more but am late late late lol am supposed to be in town now but hey am always late :lol:
Have a good weekend don't worry bout it too much you'll get the information you need to make your surgery choices
tom

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 01 Jul 2007 7:24 pm

AIUI:
1. C3R needs to "graze" the epithelium (the outer skin layer of the cornea) otherwise the riboflavin can't get into the tissue to be most effective
2. because it is done with the eyes open and uses UV light, some concerns exist about the effect of the UV light onthe retina.
Opinions about C3R do seem to differ quite a bit.
DOn't know anything about the Brazil claim.
Rosemary

helen jones
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby helen jones » Mon 02 Jul 2007 5:49 pm

thanks rosemary that explains a bit better what he was saying. I think the Brazil thing might be that he wants to use Ferrera rings?He said Intacs was a bit like using the word Hoover - lots of makes.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”