Sicko

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Hari Navarro
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Sicko

Postby Hari Navarro » Fri 29 Jun 2007 11:18 am

American director Michael Moore has just released his lastest documentary film (You may remember his last was Fahrenheit 9/11)... its called 'Sicko' and is already making waves.

This latest film focuses on the US healthcare system and is proported to highlight some very unpleasent truths associated with the pharmaceutical industry and medical insurance companys... Moore spins his tale on the role of the pharmaceutical lobby and its power to influence hospitals and doctors, to use or deney certain medicines and treatments for the purpose of economic and political gain.

Personally in the past I have found Michael Moore to be a little to smug for my liking and he also has a sly talent for exaggeration... but he is also fearless in bringing the unspoken to the masses.

Many label him anti-american, certainly anti-Bush and a far left wacko opportunist with nothing to offer but unsubstantiated sleaze... but I feel in this case where theres smoke theres fire.

I have noticed over the years how protective many instinctively are toward the medical profession... how many respect and have complete faith that every attempt at providing and educating us on the very best possible treatment is forthcoming.
To think otherwise, to even contemplate that powers are at play that guide our treatment options is the realm of conspiracy theory and belongs more in an episode of the X-files than in actual reality.

I just wonder even if there is a drop of truth in what 'Sicko' portrays how this has affected our disease?
What if contact lenses and the huge range of associated products that go with them, or corneal transplant options or even the latest offerings such as Intacs are guided to us with an alternative agenda. What if the economics of a treatment like C-3R (where the only outlay is UV light and a splash of riboflavin) just dosent make financial sence to those who profit from such things?

Again I'm not saying there is a widespread consiracy to deney KCer's the very best treatment available all I'm asking is if it is possible and to what extent. I believe it is naive to brush of such a notion completely... if nothing else films like this bring the issue to the fore and that cant be a bad thing.

This is why it is so vitally important that we question and hold to account all that seek to treat us... we have to ask the hard questions and shake the status quo if we are very to find the answer.

Hari

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Steven Williams » Fri 29 Jun 2007 12:19 pm

Thanx for that Hari, I'll look out for the film.

Michael Moore was correct to highlight the anomalies of 911 but imo he was only exposing the tip of the iceberg concerning 911 truth.

You may be interested in reading Philip Days books. Check out the google video on this link:-

Philip Day link censored
Last edited by Steven Williams on Fri 29 Jun 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommy.dean
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby tommy.dean » Fri 29 Jun 2007 1:01 pm

hey hari, i think thats something i'll have to watch, in one of my recent post i had commented on the contact lens manufactures and the solution companys and there part being played, there is a little conspiracy goin on if you ask me, maybe some of the studys on contacts and the effect of them on our disease need to be posted here, sure they'd "disappear" tho lol
tom

Hari Navarro
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

sicko

Postby Hari Navarro » Fri 29 Jun 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks for the link Steven I just got through watching it, interesting stuff. And Tommy I have been very interested in your posts, its been written before but its great to see someone passionately expressing themselves here.

I think that the various keratoconus treatments extract great loyalty from their followers... contact lens wearers, graft recipients, C-3R and mini ARK all have their passionate factions. There is only a relatively small group that sway between treatments... ie: people who have had graft/ mini ARK but still dont hesitate to question it openly.

This is totally understandable as we put everything into the hands of those who treat us... trust, money... total faith. What I'm trying to point out is that this loyalty needs to be tempered with a degree of honesty on the part of the treatment giver.

Is this treatment really the best that is on offer or is this corperate medicines flavour of the month?

The simple question to ask is... 'Why?'. Why if graft is 95% successful is this not then deemed a total cure for keratoconus, Why are not ALL treatment options discussed before final decision, Why is mini ARK rejected out of hand as a viable alternative to graft if it has not even been researched by those who reject it, Why are not those who make money from our illness as passionate about digging out alterative treatments as we are? etc

I have to confess that it worrys me to scan the various KC forums and find many talking about the exact same topics that were being discussed over three years ago... I strongly feel we need to get this show on the road and push harder for a cross the board evaluation of all that is presently on offer.

By this I dont mean the slow grind of clinical research... I mean for established or semi established treatments to get their day in the sun... now! I dont know about everyone else but I for one wouldnt want to sit aside and watch a blurry clock tick by waiting for the next big breakthrough.

Innovation in healthcare needs to be pushed... researchers and physicians need publicity to enpower their study. Thats our job as the final recipants of their work.

Hari

tommy.dean
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby tommy.dean » Fri 29 Jun 2007 2:50 pm

hari it needs to happen now your rite, i could just go to a forum what has already moved on to thinking correctly in keracotonus treatment where none of my views would be censored but i'm still here goin on about it, why? because I was mistreated and mis guided I had the invasive treatments and carry the scars mentally and physically if people read my posts after being told of a 95% succsess rate maybe they will go for a second opinion.
Lapardo (sorry bout the spelling) needs to get his studies put out around the world he's doin some good work over there for you lot in itally, isn't it ashame all his good work falls on the deaf ears of the professionals that treat us! I'm just watchin sicko now it look's good looking forward to seeing what he has to say over the surpression of these treatments deffinatly has links to economy tho an £££ which is sickening when it's our eye sight which is being used in the bat an ball game, they need to drop the cookie cutter and pick up the b2 drops an invest in one of the germans uv a machines that's what i say anyways, hope your good fella
tom

Return to “General Discussion Forum”