driving advice please

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

driving advice please

Postby nicola jayne » Sun 24 Jun 2007 9:04 am

hi guys
only me again,
I am able to drive now WHOO HOO after nearly a year of not being legal to drive !!. I wear my sunglasses no matter what to drive, fo some reason driving seems clearer when im wearing sunnies than regular glasses .... why is this ?
i also thought i would struggle in bright sunlight but i have found that im struggling in rain ( even if i put normal glasses on and not sunnies) didnt think the rain would affect me like this and mum is getting annoyed with taking us all to work etc or picking me up from work when it starts to rain ... its as if they dont believe me !! '' well your legal to drive now dont be stupid, you can drive in all weather''..... so hmm cany advice on this would be brilliant please guys , coping methods etc ... oh and night driving a big no no and dusk is a nightmare aswell LOL.

oh and gareth OH nurse still has not been to see me so am still out of the lab and stuck in admin GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Thanks guys
nicola

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 24 Jun 2007 9:43 am

Nicola,

I think you have the same problem as mee and I have put this down to glare from the road.

Driving in rain used to be a problem for me until I started keeping the windscreen scrupulously clean inside and out. I clean the outside weekly with automotive glass cleaner and give the wiper blades a wipe down too. Now when it rains, the wipers are more efficient in clearing the muck and water.

The inside gets done at the same time and even with pollen filters it is surprising how dirty the inside of the windscreen gets. The first time took me a dozen goes over the window to clear all the greese and muck. I used ordinary tissue paper and each time it would go completly black. Once done, it is easier next time. In winter the window rarely gets foggeed up and when it does, it clears really quick. Glare is much reduced too so when glare is a problem, it is only from the road or from other cars.

The cleaner I use is readily available from any motorfactors like Halfords and it is Autoglym glass polish. The bottle has a blue label on and the cleaner is a blue cream.

Hopefully it will work as well for you as it does for others I have suggested this too.

A good screen wash helps and I find Decasol is best and mix it all year round 1 part screen wash to three parts water. It is a concentrated winter mix and I have never had it freeze, but is good at breaking through traffic film that builds on the windscreen.
Gareth

Hermione Granger
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Hermione Granger » Sun 24 Jun 2007 5:08 pm

It's a great feeling being able to drive again. I hardly ever do but it's nice just to be able to. I've been told I'll never be safe to drive at night again but it's better than nothing. Congratulations.

My eyes seem to be getting more tolerant to bright light although I think my new glasses have a better anti-glare coating on than the old ones.

piper
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby piper » Wed 27 Jun 2007 1:48 am

Nicola.....I just began driving as well with similar traits as yours. It is a relief to just drop down to the grocery ALONE for a change. :lol:

I have a similar problem with the rain and believe it to be the glare off other cars headlamps......as they tend to run with them on in the rain.

And, like you, I just do not drive in the dark. Maybe someday when both eyes are lensed and healed.

Piper

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 27 Jun 2007 8:45 am

Nicola,
Some sunglasses make images clearer. Polarised lens tend to do this but normally at the higher end of performance. I am not exactly sure of the science but oakley.com has a whole load of blurb on it. Naturally, its rather biased towards oakley sunglasses and I am not suggesting they are unique. When I worked wholly at sea, where glare is an issue, I swore by my ray-bans.
There is plenty of glare around on a rainy day. Driving is a problem because of the glare from the road. But on cloudy days a lot of light is radiated from the clouds themselves. It is decieving because there is no sun but actually it can be very bright. Like you, I wear my sunglasses to drive whatever the weather.

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”