Yellow Stuff!!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

pops

Yellow Stuff!!

Postby pops » Tue 19 Jun 2007 1:58 pm

Hi Everyone

Ive been reading these forums for a bit now and have found the information very helpful.
I am 25 and have been wearing rigid lenses since october. I have gone through 4 different sizes and shapes so far.
I am a computer programmer.
My curent routine involves. Getting up at 6, putting my lenses in at around 8 am, (i put some systane in 10mins prior to this)
I remove the lenses around 2 ish for around an hour. Put some more systane in and put the lenses back in. I take them out around 6:15 when i can no longer bear to wear them,

I am finding the lenses more and more uncomfortable. The main problem i experience is the accumulation of the yellow gooey stuff in my eyes, this seems to get under the lenses and at the corner of my eyes. This seems to accumulate even faster after i hav took them out and out them back in. Could anybody reccomend anything i could try to prolong my wear time.

Many thank in advance.

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Tue 19 Jun 2007 2:46 pm

do you have hayfever? the yellow gooey stuff shouldnt be there. Or at least I dont get that anyway.
Go and get your eyes checked out, you might have an infection or an allergy.

pops

Postby pops » Tue 19 Jun 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks for your reply,

By the yellow stuff i mean the stuff you get in your eye when you wake up, i dont know if there are different types. I have hayfever but is has never affected my eyes ie watering etc.
My eyes have been like this for quite some time. Could an infection last this long?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 19 Jun 2007 3:21 pm

Sounds to me like your tears are lacking something.

Tears have a fatty (lipid) component which lubricates they eye and to make this flow in the aqueuos saline the tearducts produce a surfactant. I used to get the goey stuff but never yellow and systane resolved this for me.

I did have to use systane evry two hours for the first couple of months, but once I cut out caffeine, fizzy drinks and fruit juice drinks and replaced them with water and drink at least 2 litres per day I have not had this problem for 18 months. The fruit juice drinks have been replaced by eating the whole fruit.

Yellow goo is often a sign of infection and if left untreated will linger.

We recomend on this forum if in doubt get it checked out and that means a trip to the local eye casualty just to be safe.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 19 Jun 2007 4:30 pm

Pope

Welcome to the forum

I wonder if your lens fit is altering?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Tue 19 Jun 2007 10:20 pm

Hi Pops

Welcome to the forum

I notice that you live in Bolton

We have just launched the Manchester branch of the KC support group so you are welcome to come along to the group meetings and lend your support, and i'm sure you will find them very useful and rewarding.

I think the best advice with your current situation is to get yourself checked out , this will take away second guessing and hopefully point you in the right direction

best wishes

Mike
onwards and upwards

girlypants
Contributor
Contributor

Postby girlypants » Tue 19 Jun 2007 10:45 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I have GPC which is an allergic conjunctivitis, which causes yellow sticky eyes (am allergic to contact lens plastic, go figure that one out!).

Go and see your optometrist who will be able to check you out and confirm either an allergy or infection, and give you the relevent drops or refer you to your GP. Its important to make sure that your lenses are squeaky clean and fitting properly.

Good luck!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”