just to say hi and see how you all are

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

just to say hi and see how you all are

Postby james mckinlay » Mon 18 Jun 2007 5:19 pm

hey everyone its been a bit since i posted ive been unwell again and was in hospital.

but i have a question for you all.

i have to wear prescription glasses and i want a pair of sunglasses to ease the problems i have with bright light.

does anyone have any ideas or reccomendations.

thanks a lot hope to see new faces and old ones at the scottish group on saturday.

take it easy

james
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 18 Jun 2007 5:41 pm

James,

Depending on your light sensitivity there is;

Prescription sunglasses

Clip on shades to go over your glasses; used to have the hinged ones and when raised made me look a bit like Johny 5 from the film 'Short Circuit'.

Then there are the light excluders available at a very reasonable price from the RNIB.

Think it might be case of trying a few clip on shades and holding some tints against your normal specs to see which seem to work best for you. Sure the RNIB will let you try their light excluders or perhaps Andrew if he can make the next Scotish meeting will let you try his.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 18 Jun 2007 6:21 pm

james

I am delighted to see you back and active. GB has just about covered all the options for sunspecs. I wear prescription glasses when I need to see, and the rest of the time I wear a really flash pair of sunglasses I got in the skiing season from Tiso in Buchanan Street

It looks like I am going to have to miss this Saturday's meeting. give them all my best wishes.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Hermione Granger
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Hermione Granger » Mon 18 Jun 2007 9:21 pm

I have prescription sunglasses. They're nowhere near as lovely as the Oakleys I reluctantly donated to my mum but at least I can see to drive when it's sunny now.

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby james mckinlay » Tue 19 Jun 2007 2:55 pm

thanks for the help all the sooner the better i get a pair really because the darn light is doing my head in i can hardly go a walk in the shopping centre or that because the light just makesmy eyes water.

oh i love the summer just hope i see this one outside the hospital lol
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 19 Jun 2007 7:56 pm

James,
Welcome back!!
I would suggest asking at the high street (or searching the web) for Category 3 or Category 4 Polarised sunglasses. These will really cut out the light. I found them soothing as soon as they went on. Cat 3 excludes all but 8-18% of the light and Cat 4 let just a fraction of the light through. You are not really meant to use Cat 4 glasses for driving :lol:
If you ask for the category you will ensure you are getting lenses which going to help your eyes, rather than a sales chat from the rep. Top-end glasses tend to last longer as they have better frames. Oakley lenses are polarised at molecular level which means they last longer, perform better etc but whether you are prepared to pay the extra price is up to you. The other angle is to look at snow glasses, expedition glasses etc such as Andrew has done because these are designed with glare in mind. I think it is difficult to get a really good pair that will last without parting with a fair amount of cash sadly :roll:

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”