Good Appointment I Think

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Good Appointment I Think

Postby mike scott » Thu 14 Jun 2007 10:49 am

HI everyone

Well had my 12 week check up this morning, i have them roughly every 12 weeks because of the severity.

Well my right eye , my "good eye" has recently suffered an abrasion episode which the consultant picked up on and confirmed, so she has lifted the lens slightly ie increased the curvature so that the lens doesnt sit quite so close to the cone as my original lens is now slightly snug, so hopefully that will help. She has also recommended that i use moisturisng solution more often. I have found that contacts refresh by Allergan suits me best.

With regards to my left eye, the one that is to be grafted , i explained that over recent weeks i have noticed a slight throbbing type ache from time to time in it, the KC in this eye is pretty much active and she confirmed that the cone is incredibly steep and the cornea is well under half normal thickness, so at this point she invited a troop of students in who in turn all go hmmmm , wow , etc..
She also explained that when they have a cornea available then it would be a case of a phone call to let me know and the op will be carried out pretty swiftly, within days :shock: so i think a chat with my employers is necessary to keep them in the loop.
She also confirmed that hydrops is likely and front of cornea very possible though there is no sign of this happening at the moment.
As some of you know i have now decided to wear a medical bracelet, this is more for the benefit of the first aiders at work as should an event occur i have instructed my employers that i am not to be touched by inept first aiders but to be delivered to the hospital as fast as thier little legs can carry me :lol: , the consultant agreed that this was the right course of action and that it is extremely important that they get to me as soon as possible. Either of the events of hydrops or rupture will certainly trigger an immediate graft apparently, regardless.

They have also told me they will be happy to help in anyway they can and have offered to write to my employer (Asda) updating them of the situation.

On that note i have to say that Asda as an employer are very proactive in looking after their workforce and have so far been very understanding and supportive and they have been happy to be led and respond to my cues for support as i need it.

For anybody who is interested the type of lens that i wear is NLK, i dont know if that means anything to anyone.

Ok so thats it really so far, i am back at the hospital later today obviously , for our first MCR Group meeting and to meet up with Anne Keplacz which i am very much looking forward to. The KC group poster is on display in the centre of the clinic and the optoms are aware that the group is coming to the MREH which is good. The consultant i was with today is possibly interested in speaking at the next meeting, being happy to let Cindy Tromans launch the first one tonight.

Very best wishes to you all and sorry if i've waffled on for too long :lol:

Mike
onwards and upwards

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 14 Jun 2007 11:22 am

Good luck with the meeting tonight and with the graft should it come sooner rather than later.

With employers (even the good ones like yours and mine) refer to the graft as atransplant because that is eacactly what is happening. Your cornea is being transplanted, it makes them sit up and take note.
Gareth

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Thu 14 Jun 2007 12:31 pm

First Aiders are not likely to go too near your eyes unless you have had some kind of trauma to the head or are unconscious.
The first aider should talk to you first as he/she approaches and will be concerned with hazards and your airway to start with. Checking of the eyes tends to follow as part of the secondary survey once it is established that your more primary functions are OK. If you can remember (you could be in pain or distress), you can ask them to leave your eyes alone or to be very careful. I suspect if you are this coherent they will waive the neurological concerns. They should also tell you what they are doing before each step which will hopefully prompt your response also.
You are also prudent in getting your resident first aiders informed before anything happens. You can also get yuor trainers to include this aspect in your first aid courses. But it is a critical issue as first aiders have no knowledge of a casualty's physical condition. Hopefully, they will pick up on the bracelet very quickly. A first aider's first concern is to get you stable so the professionals can pick up when they arrive, any amateur diagnostics is frowned upon on all HSE accredited courses. The old days when we put traction on limbs are out; its very much about keeping the casualty safe until help arrives.
Hope this helps and reassures.

Get a life...get a dog!

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Fri 15 Jun 2007 4:55 pm

Mike,

Hoping the meeting went well! Best of luck with the eye situation, if you need a graft it will be good to get it over and done with pretty soon!

Take care, Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”