Angler's Sunglasses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Angler's Sunglasses

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 13 Jun 2007 11:36 am

Strange subject. This season, I have mostly been researching sunglasses. :lol:
I have a good pair now but I also stumbled across angler's sunglasses on the web. These glasses are advertised as 'fully polarised' (whatever that means). There is no category specification, so it is difficult to know if they are cat 3 or 4, which would be useful. One particular make states the glasses are not polarised but polaroid. What is the difference?
With the glasses apparently you can see fish in the water because the glare is cut out. This suggests a great deal of light exclusion.
Are there any fishermen or women that have used these glasses?

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 13 Jun 2007 5:23 pm

That's where I went wrong! when I was a student I spent a summer working as locum in Kildonan and Loth. I had my own beat on the River Helmsdale, and on one occasion one of the local Gillies took me fishing.

I stood up to my thighs in the fast flowing water of the river, thrashing the surface with a line. At the end of the line was a "fly" tied personally by the Gillie.

He smiled at the end of the day and said, "I don't really think that the fishes were in any danger from you, today!"

If only I had been wearing totally polarized sunglasses, how different might everything have been.

By the way, the very next day I opened the kitchen door and found that a salmon had committed suicide by jumping onto the back doorstep. I did ask a gamekeeper whom I ought to thank and he said, "Better not to ask". I think it is a cultural thing; people may be bashful about their generosity being recognized. :oops:

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Marc Pritchard
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marc Pritchard » Wed 13 Jun 2007 5:58 pm

Don't know much about anglers sunglasses but I own a pair of Serengeti. Slightly more expensive than Ray Bans in their class but they will cut out a lot of glare but still keep it quite bright.

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/

Or ask your local Sunglasses Hut
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Philip K. Dick

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Thu 14 Jun 2007 9:20 am

Marc,
Thanks for this, another type of sunglasses! I must admit I do like Rayban, I had a pair once but I run over them in my car :shock:
I actually got a good pair now,, I just went for a pair of European Standard Cat 3 sunglasses and they made a big difference. I think cat 4 would be better but they are much more expensive and these do the job OK.

Andrew,
I like the story! I do love salmon but I am more used to the world of sea fishing. Not as a fisherman but as fisheries enforcement officer (boo, hiss!) So I hope your salmon wasn't too small :twisted:

Get a life...get a dog!

morag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby morag » Sat 16 Jun 2007 1:07 pm

Hi I nave yet to find a pair of sun glasses that actually does the job!!!25 years I have been looking with no real success. The only make that comes close is Oakley wrap’s but still they let the light in Cebe are no good either with the leather sides as they too don’t stop the light. Welders glasses now that will stop anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me know if you find anything
Del
:D

Return to “General Discussion Forum”